Respected Contributor

Re: How much time do you give someone?

I'd give him till end of day today, around 5pm or until tomorrow...only because it was a holiday weekend.  If it wasn't , it would be today.  If he can't call you, how can you depend on him to show up and do the job?

Honored Contributor

@Jo1313 wrote:

I called someone on Friday to get some outside work done.

He called me later on Friday to say he had to check his schedule.,,Being that it was a holiday weekend..

How long would you wait for a response

before calling someone else?

I left him another message today..I can wait to get the work done but I need to know if he is interested in doing it.

@Jo1313 

Do you have alternatives in mind in case this falls through?    I'd give them until the end of business today unless they came HIGHLY recommended.   

Of course, It's entirely possible there are some "maybe" jobs that recently called him, and he needs to verify whether or not they want to move forward.  Other indecisive people may be holding him up.   

Either way, until I hear from him, I would be making a list ... and checking it twice.  lol

Valued Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

I'd give him till end of day today, around 5pm or until tomorrow...only because it was a holiday weekend.  If it wasn't , it would be today.  If he can't call you, how can you depend on him to show up and do the job?

DH said I should wait till Thursday. I'm an impatient person.

We live in a rural area so it's hard to find people to do work. and you have to get on their list..

I used to live in the city and you could find 90 people that would do that kind of work.

Here the phone book is as thick as a comic book.

He may have passed by and realized the job was too big for him..All I expect is a yes or no.

My kids call me " Lisa Douglas"..from Green Acres!Smiley Frustrated

Honored Contributor

it's

@Sooner wrote:

If it isn't an emergency at least a week.  Finding someone good is more important than finding someone fast.  And if they call you right back, says to me they aren't really in demand. 

@Sooner    If they call me promptly, it says they are business-like, organized and really want to work.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

it's

@Sooner wrote:

If it isn't an emergency at least a week.  Finding someone good is more important than finding someone fast.  And if they call you right back, says to me they aren't really in demand. 

@Sooner    If they call me promptly, it says they are business-like, organized and really want to work.

@Kachina624 In this day and age, we will give people some slack, wait to talk to them, get references and see their work, see what they would do before we make a judgment.

It is important to us that the person isn't a know-it-all, is willing to do the job that we want done, not just what they would do, isn't combative, and lays out a good description of what they see and understand about the job.  

We just talked with a contractor about a month ago who told us what we needed to do that bore no relation to the job we were looking to get done.  Done?  He was one visit and done!  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

The guy  that I called to do some work..got back to me at 10 pm last night.

He apologized and said the job was too big for him.

He gave me the name and number of someone else who does bigger jobs.

I will call the other guy early next week.

I also got the name of someone else.

Honored Contributor

I'd give him 4 business days to call back. If not, find someone else.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jo1313 

If this is an example of how someone runs their business, big or small? I would have already found someone else. 

If they are so busy, or can't figure out their schedule and don't call me back? They deserve the same from me in return.

Running my own business for over 52 years, nothing irritated me more than someone that "didn't have time" to at least return my phone call? They were no longer a member of my associates. Straight forward, no mincing of words.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

it's

@Sooner wrote:

@Kachina624 No, it says they called back.  Maybe they are crooks, they call in a flash and angle to take your money.  

I am far more suspicious of who I am hiring to be swayed by a prompt call.  To me that says more that they don't have much going on than anything else.

We have learned over the years to very carefully interview and background check people.  It is a hard lesson too often learned even more these days.  

Honored Contributor

There was the holiday and it's vacation time and your job isn't an emergency.  I would give him a week and then assume he isn't interested in the job.  A week meaning 5 business days, not counting holidays and weekends.