Honored Contributor

Re: How big is your Toilet Paper / Paper Towel Stockpile?

I have what I need----never could figure out what the toilet paper frenzy was about??? 

Respected Contributor

There never was a shortage of toilet paper and paper towels, people were hoarding them, for whatever reason and that's why places had to limit how much you bought.  I used to only buy toilet paper when it was on sale, so I always had a little extra on hand, so when the hoarding began I was never in desparate need of paper products.  Then things calmed down but I never saw toilet paper on sale again, in fact I'm paying way more for it since it went up in price.  Now people are going to start hoarding again because of the supply chain issue, I get it, the holidays are coming and we all want to make sure we have what we need to have a nice meal or buy someone  the present they want, especially the children.  I bought two cans of pumpkin when I saw it beacuse I didn't know if I would see it again before Thanksgiving.  I bought only two cans because that's how many cans I usually use, I didn't buy 10!  This is all just too sad beyond words for me and I don't know if, in my lifetime, it will ever be like it was!  

Honored Contributor

I don't feel the need to do this. 

Trusted Contributor

Family of 6.  It always feel like I'm hoarding TP and PT.  LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's not unusual seeing a lot of non-perishables in my house.  I quickly counted around 200 mega rolls of toilet tissue.  The package says 18 mega rolls equal 72 regular rolls.  That's a huge stretch.  I'd say one mega equals 2 regular.  

I have always been concerned about disasters that could go on for months or even years...not only those caused by weather.  I recently began stocking up on food with a 25 year shelf life. I may never need it, but it gives me a feeling of security.  

21 large rolls of paper towels, but that's low for us.  

Honored Contributor

I have a dedicated closet that is used to store bathroom paper goods.it has TP, tissues, liquid and bar soap. Bathroom wipes, female hygienic products, shampoo, etc.

I buy paper goods in bulk at Costco or Sam's club.  I probably have give or take 75 rolls of TP.  I supply four bathrooms, plus three other baths on our RV or boat.

We store paper towels in the garage closet.  Our supply is not allowed to get low.  I probably have about 70 rolls of paper towels at any given time.

These supplies have always been stored this way.  We did not buy any during the pandemic, but we did end up sharing with our children and neighbors who weren't able to find any.

My Food pantry looks the same way.. I  am well stocked up with food staples.

Honored Contributor

SeaMaiden - Funny you mentioned this. Both Costco and Sam's Club near me are out of toilet paper at the present time. 

We have 2 packages so we are not looking to buy. But I think people are still panic buying. Last week when we were in Sam's they were well stocked with toilet paper. And I swear we were the only people that did not put a pack of toilet paper in our cart. Guess that explains why Sam's is presently out of stock.

Respected Contributor

No stockpile here.  I buy the large bundles in Costco but I have one open bundle each of TP and PT.  I keep one extra bundle of each as a backup. 

I see plenty of paper goods in various stores like grocery stores and Target.  

Honored Contributor

I have the same amount of TP in the house right now, as I had in the fall of 2019 before the Covid pandemic.   There are 4 rolls of paper towels in the house.   

I have always lived rural, always stocked more food and supplies in the house for winter months, and am more comfortable when the house is full of everything we need.   My goal since retiring is to stay out of stores as much as possible.   

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I buy one huge package of  TP( 30 rolls)and PT(12 rolls)) each trip to Costco( so about one of each a month.  

I have about 7 packs of TP and about 6 packages of PT. It is just DH and me.

Once this supply/ distribution shortage is over and things smooth out, I will not have to purchase TP or PT for a few years.

@SeaMaiden   I've always purchased paper goods in bulk at Sam's... Happy to have extra when Covid hit. Now that I'm seeing empty shelves again in some stores, I'm going to continue to purchase by the carton...as long as it's available.