Honored Contributor

Re: How big is your Toilet Paper / Paper Towel Stockpile?

@Shanus wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I buy one huge package of  TP( 30 rolls)and PT(12 rolls)) each trip to Costco( so about one of each a month.  

I have about 7 packs of TP and about 6 packages of PT. It is just DH and me.

Once this supply/ distribution shortage is over and things smooth out, I will not have to purchase TP or PT for a few years.

@SeaMaiden   I've always purchased paper goods in bulk at Sam's... Happy to have extra when Covid hit. Now that I'm seeing empty shelves again in some stores, I'm going to continue to purchase by the carton...as long as it's available. 

@Shanus      I have a deep seated relationship with this shortage of TP... Here is the story...

When DH and I were living together several years before we were married... about 1978...we were living in a huge house with a bunch of other people. We all rented the house.

Now this was in Sun Valley/ Ketchum, Idaho, and everyone  living in the house was either working for SunValley Co on the mountain serving food or working on the lifts.. or in restaurants or bars in town and  making about $3.00 an hour.

This one winter was a winter with very little snow... and there was no work... so we were a houseful of UNEMPLOYED YOUNG PEOPLE... and Toilet Paper was a very special commodity that you hoarded. No one in the house could afford to buy TP so if you had a roll you treated it like gold... or it might be stolen...   THAT memory is one I will never forget... and thus my fear of running  out of TP.

Honored Contributor

There's no reason for us to hoard.  There are no shortages of either.  Store shelves loaded.  We do have a box of 60 rolls of toilet tissue that we bought in the early days of the Covid lockdown and never used.  It's in storage.

Respected Contributor

There is no shortage in my area so no need to hoard. We buy the same package we always do.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I don't stockpile paper products.  We get one Costco Charmin when we get down to the last 6-pk or so of the previous package, about once every 5 or so months.  There's only the 2 of us. 

Not sure why it seems people also stockpile bottled water.  I think that was something Costco was also limiting the number of.  Last time I was in there a couple of weeks ago it seemed everybody had a TP and a case of bottled water.  We had a water main break one night a few months ago.  Early in the morning our neighbor was distributing large packs of bottled water to some of the neighbors.  I think we so far have only used one of those bottles. 

They had plenty of alcohol which was something they ran out of during the pandemic.

I also think the press is fanning the flames.  Buy now!  Buy Early!  Christmas tree shortage!  I can't imagine that many people NEED to buy a new Christmas tree, maybe make do with the one you have one more year if you still have it.  If not, go to Lowes.  They've got a boatload of them.  I thnk I would enjoy not having to put one up.

Respected Contributor

There are no shortages in N. WI right now.  No limits.  Wal-Mart had a big special display of Scott so out and available. My need is septic safe tissue or I wouldn't care what brand.

I never did see totally bare TP shelves, just very limited choices and quanity some days. Three packs of 10 rolls is my current stash.  I don't use Paper towels too much. One roll a month. I use microfiber cloths alot or rags. One Bounty 12 roll pack is all.  I store in the garage on a Orgami shelving.

I think there was alot of panic on being confined to your home thus a greater use and need. Since retired I am home more  hours and have used more  TP prior to Covid anyway. 

Honored Contributor

It looks like I have about 65 rolls of tp.  I just got my auto-delivery from Amazon of a case that comprises 24 of that. 

The thing is, I would normally skip an AD order if I have plenty of something but I'm so afraid that if I did that (again - did it once last year and then there was none next time it came up) I'd end up running out if it got hard to get again.  I'm using Northern now and it's so much better than most others I've tried that I hope it keeps being available.

I have 2+ cases of paper towels, so I haven't gotten any in a very long time.   I'm pretty big on not being wasteful, so I probably have enough to last a very, very long time!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

If we ever run out of coffee filters, DH uses a paper towel. No biggie. I usually pick up coffee filters at the $Tree if I am not going to the grocery store soon just so he has some backups. He isn't that picky about coffee filters....just about his coffee! 

Trusted Contributor

The Kroger where I usually shop has had loads of TP and Papaer towels for months, just empty shelves in other areas, like empty cereal shelves for several brands or no frozen pizzas, etc. found out the food is indeed being delivered to the store, there is just no staff to take the stick from the stockroom or trucks and put them on the shelves. Costco has limits of 2 for TP, Paper towels diapers, and some bottled water. I don't want to run out of paper products, but I have never felt the need to keep dozens of pkgs of any of it. Save your napkins from fast food places....they come in handy to save paper towels. 

Honored Contributor

@Duckncover wrote:

If we ever run out of coffee filters, DH uses a paper towel. No biggie. I usually pick up coffee filters at the $Tree if I am not going to the grocery store soon just so he has some backups. He isn't that picky about coffee filters....just about his coffee! 

I don't do coffee, but I've always heard that this works perfectly well!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I have 72 tolls of Charmin and probably 25 rolls of paper towels. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?