Honored Contributor

Re: Hickory Chicken Huntin’ Time!

I saw them prepared on TickTok yesterday and the poster explained how they foraged for them . They served them breaded and fried. I've never had them , but I'm a mushroom fan and I would love to try them. Are they just in certain parts of the country ?

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CatsyCline wrote:

@cheriere    False Morels can be highly toxic.  not a good idea to just go out hunting mushrooms to eat unless very experienced in identifying those which are edible and not poisonous.

When my son was little, i got him a mushroom field guide. we collected mushrooms and took spore prints by placing the mushroom cap on white paper under a glass for several days. the color of the spore was one way to identify the type of mushroom and safety.   We did not eat any of them.  we did this purely for educational purposes. My son loves mushrooms, and he scared me to death once by eating little ones growing in the back yard. hence the mushroom field guide.

I've been hunting these for forty years.  I'm good at identifying these, but not so much other types of mushrooms lol..  These are the only kind I do hunt and eat. 💝🍄‍🟫

We've actually never ran into any of the false ones on our property here.  However, at the old home place, I have seen the  other kind in the woods maybe only once or twice.  I've noticed they seem to be out later than hickory chickens are in the season.

I sure wish I were good at identifying other mushrooms because we have a lot of other species that grow here too.  I've never seen so many.  They look like they'd be great too, but I'd never take a chance on them.

It sounds like you and your son really had fun and learned a lot collecting those mushroom specimens.😃

I enjoy things like that too.  I'll bet you were terrified when he ate that wild mushroom!  I sure would've been!  I'm glad to know he was ultimately okay.  Most importantly, it taught him a lesson not to eat things that could really harm him.  Plus, you got to spend time together doing something that turned out to be really helpful.😃❤️

Thank you so much for posting this information about mushrooms and their dangers.  It's really important that folks are aware of the potential risks.💝🌸🍄‍🟫

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I saw them prepared on TickTok yesterday and the poster explained how they foraged for them . They served them breaded and fried. I've never had them , but I'm a mushroom fan and I would love to try them. Are they just in certain parts of the country ?

They do taste wonderful!  Frying is the way I always fix mine, but there are probably other fancier ways that are incredible!🍄‍🟫

Im not sure, but it seems to me like they can be found in a lot of the US.  I guess it depend on the climate as to when they come in season...I'm not sure?  But, I do remember reading about people in Wisconsin maybe that had them too?  It's been a long time lol.  I'm in southern KY, right in the border of TN.

Maybe you can look up MORELS in whatever state you live in to see.  If you don't want to search, you might be able to buy them.  I sure hope you can.😊🌸

Im really glad you responded to this thread.  I enjoy talking to you about them.💝🌸🍄‍🟫

Esteemed Contributor

@cheriere  Good luck with your hunting! My DD and her DH have had good luck in the past, but they may be too busy this year to hunt for any lengh of time. 

Trusted Contributor

Good luck and happy hunting.  Take a pic of your haul, and I hope it's a biggie! 

Respected Contributor

@Pezzie wrote:

Good luck and happy hunting.  Take a pic of your haul, and I hope it's a biggie! 

Thank you🌸💝

I sure hope I can stumble across some.  It's not easy hunting them here in the mountainous woods lol.  It would be much easier in a field lol.

I hope I can at least find enough for dinner.  Sometimes they're easy, other times not so much.  I'll definitely post pics if I'm lucky.  If I don't spot any tomorrow, I'll go back a few more times.😃🍄‍🟫

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@cheriere  Good luck with your hunting! My DD and her DH have had good luck in the past, but they may be too busy this year to hunt for any lengh of time. 

Thank you so much😊💝

Hopefully, I'll find a few.  If I don't, I'll just have to try and go back a few times before they're gone.

If you're DD and her DH find some I'll be happy,  You might have to post a pic for us here in case I don't have any luck lol.

I'll get to hunt for the next few weeks before they're gone.  I hope all of us are able to get some.💝🍄‍🟫🍄‍🟫

Super Contributor

Have a wonderful time mushroom hunting and please stay well protected from the deer ticks! I hope you find plenty for your steaks and that you enjoy the hunt! Living in the Southern California desert, I had never heard of these either so I learned something new, thank you! 🍄💕
Respected Contributor

@Puggywuggy wrote:
Have a wonderful time mushroom hunting and please stay well protected from the deer ticks! I hope you find plenty for your steaks and that you enjoy the hunt! Living in the Southern California desert, I had never heard of these either so I learned something new, thank you! 🍄💕

Thank you so much💝🌸

I was happy to post about it because I've met so many of dear friends like you, who live in places I dream of living lol.  I wasn't sure if you had them or not.

Now, they're giving rain today.  Hot in the 80s, but cloudy and rain.😔. It's so dense with trees and foliage, it might be too dark to go today.

You're sure right about the deer ticks!  I always dread that part about it.  Too bad they don't make a monthly pill like they do for Ruby to keep the ticks away.😃

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Happy Hunting,

Good Luck Vector Art, Icons, and Graphics for Free Download