Trusted Contributor

I have some faux  suede pants that need to be shortened, so I thought I’d try the tape.

Usually, I would just sew them, but this fabric is substantial.  Can anyone suggest

a type or brand?

TIA!

Trusted Contributor

It's been my experience that hemming tape usually requires activating the adhesive by applying a warm iron to the fabric that the tape is holding in place. Can your faux suede pants material safely endure a few seconds under a warm iron as you apply the tape to make sure the hem stays secure?

Sorry, I can't recommend a brand of tape. I've bought whatever looked viable and in range of my budget. Purchased from Amazon for lack of a sewing or notions store near me. I wanted the least quantity that would be successful for hemming. I only needed it once. 

Honored Contributor

@Magny    I assume you're speaking of fusible iron-on tape? I've always used Stitch Witchery but none of these products stick really well through many launderings.  If I wear the pants a lot, I end up sewing the hem.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Magny    I assume you're speaking of fusible iron-on tape? I've always used Stitch Witchery but none of these products stick really well through many launderings.  If I wear the pants a lot, I end up sewing the hem.

@Kachina624 

We found that out through trial and error, didn't we?

Respected Contributor

If you decide to iron on the fusible tape to faux suede, use a pressing cloth between the iron and the other items.  This can be a thin piece of material like an old handkerchief, pillowcase or woven shirt.  

This protects the delicate material  (faux suede) and ensures any melted adhesive doesn't gunk up the iron.  

Honored Contributor

HeatnBond UltraHold Iron-On Adhesive, 7/8 Inch x 10 Yards

a few products on the big A, this is just one of them

Honored Contributor

I would be not apply any heat to that material--when I read, hemming tape, I thought of the wider type of seam binding tape---you would sew it on to the raw hem and then measure and pin it up and then either machine sew it or hand sew it. Or take it to a tailor-----can't be too expensive to get a professional to do it to have it look good. You would need apporiate size needles for your machine too. they make all the difference.

Valued Contributor

Remove the old hem and cut off the extra so you have less material to work with - possibly might help reduce the substantial nature of the hem. But I think you know this. The problem with fusible tape on polyester is that polyester doesn't take a high heat with an iron. You can go to a sewing or fabric store and find many types of fusible tape but you want the heavy duty one. I'd hand sew this hem I think. You can purchase thicker sewing needles if that helps. I had another thought on this, if these are polyester faux leather type fabric, you might be able to just cut them off to the right length and call it a day. I don't think this material unravels in the washing machine but I could be wrong. It won't have a weight to it holding it down, so to speak. 

Honored Contributor

Why not get them hemmed by a tailor?

Respected Contributor

pressing cloth and be careful it doesn't crease. Not sure how heavy fabric is but you could try double stick tape and just reapply as needed.