Respected Contributor

Re: Help with what something is called!

@Still Raining yes, I didn't see that you wrote that before, my brain is a bit overwelmed with my task of finding the perfect handles - that must be why.  reading comprehension can be the first thing to go!   yes, a pull or push plate.  

what i'm finding is the ones I really like and are fairly well priced have a plate that's too narrow. sigh.

Respected Contributor

@Foxxee I'm going to see about that (filling in the holes and staining).  It's certainly what I would prefer to find narrower, sleeker handles.  I have to talk to the people who are actually doing the work for me - they have a very long to do list that needs to be completed by a certain date coming up very soon, so I'm trying not to add anything else for them to do or trying to not add anything that's not absolutely necessary.  But we'll have to see ...... 

Respected Contributor

@decaf oh, interesting search terms.  Let me try that too.  thank you!

Respected Contributor

@ECBG I may take you up on that! Thank you.  There are so many big and little decisions I've been making that I'm feeling the 'fatigue' at this point.  Wish I had noticed the handles sooner - hate these rushed last minute things.

The reason why I was asking about if the handles need to be the same color on both sides is that the two rooms are so different.  On one side ithe room is darker with the wood walls and floors, beams and cathedral ceiling.  One the other side it's just pretty much white., white walls and ceiling. So, as not to be confusing - a set of french doors divide the two rooms.  One side of the door is wood color - the other side is painted white!  So far I'm looking for black door pulls.  I'm just wondering if that would be appropriate for the white side.  but probably, right?  

Honored Contributor

@moonandthestars 

It is usual to use the same hardware on both sides of a door.

Homes usually carry an overall theme like country or traditional for example, therefore, the door knobs  won't have a lot of variety. 

The house I built is a two story cedar with a wrap around porch in the woods.  My theme is country antiques. 

I have a brass door know on the front door the style of the 1800's.

All of the rooms connect.  When you look from one room into the next, the room looks like it "belongs".

You can see part of my house in the thread 

"Here's My Country Christmas".

Honored Contributor

@moonandthestars 

Check out Wayfair. I don't know if they'll have the handles but they do carry lots of household items and their prices are really good

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I'd say, unless you have done this already, go to the hardware store in your area.  There's the large one, and I don't want to mention here, in case we aren't supposed to.  Every town has them, I think.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@moonandthestars Did a quick and dirty search on google ("long door pull with back plate") and found one 12" in Amazon (Dimensions: 12" H x 3" W. Pull: 9 1/2" L x 2 1/4" projection) called "Large Traditional Door Pull with Rope Back Plate in Oil Rubbed Bronze" and thehardwarehut dot com seemed to offer several options.  historichouseparts dot com had an "Iron Door Pull with Backplate" 14-3/4" tall by 3-1/2" wide.

There were other results to my search that may interest you.

Good luck!