Respected Contributor

Re: Help Please - Work Problem - UGH!

@CalminHeart wrote:

@BunSnoop wrote:

@CalminHeart  wrote:  As a manager, "I'd rather have an employee try and fail than not try at all." 

As I said stated in a prior post: 

I hope the next time, for example, you have a brake repair done on your car that you please hang on tight as you're going down the hill and the brakes don't work.  The work may have been done by an employee that "wanted to try and possibly fail" rather than "not try at all".

The next time you're having blood drawn and you're in excruciating pain, just remember....the employee is just giving it a try and must be failing but please remember as you're screaming in pain "at least they tried"!

When your home is on fire, because the electrician gave it a try, but failed,  just say to yourself "at least he tried".

When an employee at the hospital bills you for $100,000 bill vs $10,000, while your trying to get the issued resolved for the next couple of weeks and many hours later, just remind yourself that it must of been an employee giving it a try and willing to learn, but the employee must of failed!

When a beautician does not feel comfortable coloring your hair, but she wants to learn and give it a try, just remind yourself when you look in horror at your hair in the mirror,  "that's okay, she must of given it a try, as she was just an employee willing to learn, but she must of failed".

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Apples and oranges, but A for effort.

OK @BunSnoop try this comparison.  

You weren't asked to write the final legal document. You said yourself it would be submitted to legal for their review.  

For your analogies above to work - you wouldn't be asked to do the final brake repair - you would have been asked to provide the person doing it information as to what problems you are experiencing with the brakes - but that would be impossible for you.

You would not be asked to draw and analyze the blood, but to explain what symptoms you are having to aid the person to determine which tests to run - but again you would have no ability to do that.

Your beauty example is simply one of someone deciding on their own to try something they've never done before - not someone who was tasked beyond their capability.

In your case - as I said previously, I can't imagine that the legal department just suddenly decided that someone else should actually be writing their documents and for no reason asked your boss to take this on.

If someone other than legal asked your boss to do it, it seems highly likely that what was really wanted was to assure that whatever issues your department may have had - or could potentially have -  with these reimbursements would be fully considered by legal and integrated into their final documents.

Your reaction to any suggestion by posters that you might have asked for additional information about this assignment yourself before declaring that you it wasn't your job - especially these ridiculous examples of what you now claim you were asked to do, are so over the top, that I wonder why you are so angry over this - especially since you succeeded in refusing the assignment.  As another poster said - get over it.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CalminHeart  and @Isobel Archer ,

Practice what you preach ----- get over it.  Move on!

Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop wrote:

@CalminHeart  and @Isobel Archer ,

Practice what you preach ----- get over it.  Move on!

I'm not much older than you since I retired. I spent 40 years in a huge, international corporation in middle-upper management.  I also collaberated with countless other corporations over the years. My advice wasn't what you wanted to hear and that's ok with me. Good luck on your retirement.  I hope it's all you want it to be. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CalminHeart , you said I did not want to hear what you said.  I did not believe you wanted to hear everything I said.  That's fine, that's a part of life - people do not agree on everything.

Hopefully we can both agree it's time to move on.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my inquiry.

Have a good day and enjoy retirement.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

You aren't giving us any information. How could we possibly have an opinion?