Valued Contributor

Re: Has anyone noticed the low inventory in local car dealerships?

I purchased a new Honda last Fall 2020. It was certainly a buyer's market at that time. I negotiated over the phone/email/text with several dealerships what I wanted & the price I was willing to pay (several thousands less than sticker price). Got 1st choice colors (interior/exterior) I wanted & the specific model I wanted. Even got extra accessories thrown in the deal! I have no doubt they still made a profit...but I hit a sweet spot! That was one positive of the year 2020 for me! Cars were cheap cause not many were being sold during the worst parts of the pandemic.
Valued Contributor

As an order from a couple months aRe: Has anyone noticed the low inventory in local car dealerships?

I know someone that has an order with a dealer for a Ford Bronco.  Delivery will not be until end of the year.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes! Our local Ford dealership was about empty a few weeks ago. We met with several of my husbands family from a different area over the weekend, they report the same at the local dealerships where they live. One of them said, he had heard from someone in the car business that if anyone is going to be looking to buy a vehicle in the next 2 years they better be getting on it. 

There seems to be some sort of a problem with some computer chip that goes in cars, but I'm not sure if that the reason for the low volume at the dealerships.

My son needed a part for his blower in his truck, the a/c and heat didn't work, it took over 6 months for the dealership where he lives to get it in. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes. We just ordered a car because  there was nothing on the lots.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been watching this sales guy who vlogs on YouTube. He is a Chevy dealer. He says they get a list of cars coming to the car lot to sell and often they have to show that list to customers because nothing is on the lot. They are gone before they are gond before even hitting the lot. The shortage of new cars has made there a shortage of used cars too. Prices are sky high on used cars.

Esteemed Contributor

GM is expected to get the ones sitting chips  and to lots very soon. I wonder if there might end up being good prices eventually because they will need to make room for the 2022 models. When we ordered ours we were told customers who ordered ones were going to be shipped with the chips and were the first priority.

Honored Contributor

I have been looking periodically for a 2021 used Camry to trade in my 2017.  Only 1 or 2 within 500 miles and none with the features or trim I want.  Generally I buy around August/September once the 2022 arrive.  But I am considering ordering a 2022 now and waiting for it to arrive.

I don't need a new car, but I want a new car as I'm not thrilled with this model Camry.  But I do want to drive it first to see if they got rid of the things that annoy me Smiley Very Happy

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We 

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I have been looking periodically for a 2021 used Camry to trade in my 2017.  Only 1 or 2 within 500 miles and none with the features or trim I want.  Generally I buy around August/September once the 2022 arrive.  But I am considering ordering a 2022 now and waiting for it to arrive.

I don't need a new car, but I want a new car as I'm not thrilled with this model Camry.  But I do want to drive it first to see if they got rid of the things that annoy me Smiley Very Happy

You might even find a new  Camry might not be that much more  then a preowned. Used cars prices are so high.  That is what we kind of saw when looking for a Blazer.

Honored Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

We 

@VaBelle35 wrote:

You might even find a new  Camry might not be that much more  then a preowned. Used cars prices are so high.  That is what we kind of saw when looking for a Blazer.

It's not really the money, it's my immaturity around people dinging my car.  If it's slightly used, I can handle the ding a little better than if it was brand new and they just pulled the plastic off of it.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Ours are all pretty sparse.  One is down to about 20 cars, both new and used.  Perhaps they are going out of business or have money problems.  (Chevrolet dealer)

I was having a conversation with my mom. We were talking about why buy a preowned when a brand new one is only 4K more. Just get the new one and order what you want. That is if your willing to wait. My sister had a Toyota and they really do have good resell value. You might find your current car is worth a lot right now in this market. 

With the new car coming my dad sold his beater that hadn't been driven in a year. It had all kinds of problems. He sold it and the guy never even drove it. Granted he wasn't asking much. Under a grand.  But the guy said he could probably make money back by taking it to the junk yard. He walked in the garage handed the money over and drove it away. He had so much interest on the site he posted it on.