Honored Contributor

Re: HOW SHOULD I HAVE HANDLED THIS?

Is it at a restaurant? If so - I would tell the waitress to give HIM the check.Or tell him he has to sit elsewhere, as your party is girls only.

Honored Contributor

Why behave worse than him? Its better to take the high road

Respected Contributor

maybe he identifies as a girl?

gender definition seems a bit blurred these days

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Super Contributor

So, how did the party go?

Honored Contributor

@bootsanne wrote:

My favorite niece's birthday today.  It has been in the planning for 6 weeks.  GIRLS ONLY, no husbands.  There was to be her sister, her cousin, my SIL, who is the best human being in the world and their aunt, and me.  I was going to start to give my nieces my jewelry, some of my good pieces because we have had so many deaths lately, it's time to pass things on.  Also, we are very close in ages and we have wonderful times when we get together.  Well my niece called to tell me her sister is bringing her husband.  She told her sister this was GIRLS ONLY but he wants to come.  Am I being petty?  He's a nice guy but come on.  This has thrown a damper on this get together.

@bootsanne

Okay .....  I must be missing something here .... just WHAT is it you think you should have "handled"?     Is this being held at your home?    

If you are hosting this get together, then it would have been okay to call this niece's sister (also your niece?) and  clarify this was gals only.   Just a silly misunderstanding, sorry I didn't communicate this more clearly, ha ha ha, silly me.   ****** it in the bud.   I can't think of anything more uncomfortable than a man wanting to impose on a ladies' get together and make everyone uncomfortable.   Yuck.   

I hate when people invite themselves to events they aren't welcome to join.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

He probably had nothing else to do and wanted to come along.

Valued Contributor

Party was today.  He was the only male there.  It was not a fun time and yes we were at an upscale restaurant.  The niece whose husband came---in separate vehicles--looked like she just rolled out of the laundramat.  He looked slightly better.  He is a very nice guy and when have our big get togethers, his company is always welcome.  But this was to be a girl's day out.  The jewelry gifts were a huge hit, all the girls crying and very touched.  But I'll stick by my guns, he should not have been there.

Honored Contributor

Was it his presence that made it not fun? Why did your niece look so frumpy?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

Was it his presence that made it not fun? Why did your niece look so frumpy?

Good question!  What about him made it not fun?  He may be a guy but isn't that just another person?  I know some guys who play golf together, but any of us females would be welcome, and other than that, they don't reall hang together and exclude the women.  And if they did, how would you  like that??? And what would they be doing?  Come to think of it.  .  .

Respected Contributor

@bootsanne

Sorry it didn't go well after all your planning.   Heart