Honored Contributor

Re: HOW SHOULD I HAVE HANDLED THIS?

Yikes!  That he wants to come to a thing where he is expressly NOT invited is kind of odd.  I hope he's not a controlling type who just won't let her do anything without him.  

I cannot think of another reason a guy would want to attend a girl's only party unless he's just particularly socially inept.

I'd probably just say 'no, it's a girls-only party and none of the men are invited' unless that puts her in some kind of peril, IF he is a controller.

Respected Contributor

This guy is going to be uncomfortable surrounded by a bunch of women at a girlie event.  Good.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Respected Contributor

I would just say he is more than welcome to come but he is going to have to entertain himself during the party because it is a girls only party.

Esteemed Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

I am always suspect when a man wants to go to a girls' only event with his SO.  Seems like controlling, or he has no friends, which is another situation.  He is not one of the girls and does not belong there.  Unfortunately, there is really nothing that you can do if you want to be gracious and not ruin the event.  I would probably pull him aside or have another male family member do the same and say something to him.  However, I do not suggest that you say anything to him to keep peace in the family.

He sounds like my sister's ex!!  She couldn't leave the house without him!!

Honored Contributor

Yes, you are being petty. About your jewelry: when my Mom passed no one wanted any of her things. No matter what anyone tells you think twice about this.

Honored Contributor

I agree with lilac tree, set him up in another room with food, drink and a tv.  Is there another husband that can come and then take him out somewhere.  I wouldn't let him spoil the girl time.  

Esteemed Contributor

I'd let it go. In the grand scheme of life, it is not worth getting worked up about. My husband and I, and my two best friends, are all cancer survivors. I bring this up because the one lesson I learned from dealing with serious illness is to pick your battles and not sweat the small stuff. This philosophy has brought me a very gratifying measure of peace. It's not the end of the world. If the guy wants to come, so be It.

Honored Contributor

My problem is that it's so inconsiderate of him to push in where he is not wanted. It's almost like he doesn't want his wife to have a good time. It's like the guys were getting together to watch sports, and one of the wives insisted on being there. No, just no.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

Sounds controlling to me....

Valued Contributor

This husband is behaving like a controlling jerk.  I understand your frustration.  This is only about control.  It is not about him wanting to socialize.