Honored Contributor

Re: HOW DOES THE DAYS OF LESS DAYLIGHT AFFECT YOU?

Less daylight doesn't affect me, I just go on normally.  To be honest I like the time change. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Respected Contributor

I thought it would never happen to me since I really can't tolerate hot temps and love Fall and Winter but I had SAD two winters ago.

All I can say is that when you really have it you will know. I even thought about buying one of those daylight lamps. I was feeling sad and I don't know about depressed but once the daylight was gone I did feel tense and and sad. I consciously knew it was related to the days ending sooner because it made me feel very tense and nervous that the day was 'gone'.  I would be ok during the day and as soon as the sun went down boom I felt the symptoms.

It's kind of difficult to realize you have this out of nowhere and dealing with it is a bit tricky. I'm glad I'm back to normal is all I can say!!!

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

I hate it.  I cannot stand coming home from work and it's nearly dark.  I will not walk outside in the dark so that means I have to go back to walking on the treadmill instead of outside. 

Right now we are having warm temps but even though it's warmer, it's so dark so early that I can't enjoy being outside. 

By 7:30, I'm ready to put my pajamas on and do nothing but lay on the couch.  By 8:30, I'm ready for bed since it's so dark out anyhow.      

Respected Contributor

I love the summer season and getting dark late.  I like green grass, full green trees, summer flowers and the sound of lawnmowers.

I get depressed just thinking about the fall months coming.  I don't like it getting dark around 5:00 p.m. and certainly don't like cold.

Guess I need to move to Hawaii.  Cat Very Happy

Respected Contributor

My mother suffered from SAD so I do understand it is a problem for some, but not me.

I love the changing seasons and especially the fall and winter.  When the summer blooms have faded, the lawn has been mowed for the last time and the last leaf has fallen from the trees there is calm and peace.  I find beauty in the starkness of it all  The fact the sun sets earlier doesn't bother me.  I rarely get depressed but when I do the sunshine or lack thereof has little to do with it. 

Esteemed Contributor

Bedtime comes early in the northeast this time of year. My beagle is ready for bed before 7 and insists that I accompany her upstairs every night by 7pm whether I'm ready or not. And then she's up before 6am. My dog rules!

Honored Contributor

@Newgate wrote:

Every year at this time when daylight savings time ends I hear many people say how depressing it is!  It has never affected me like that.  I have always enjoyed the cooler temperatures and the holiday season and the darkness just seems to go along with those things!!  I can feel depressed in the middle of summer if there is something negative going on to make me feel that way!  How about you?Woman Happy

I grew up on the east coast, by the Lake Erie snow belt, and now live in Los Angeles.   When I first moved to LA, I loved the weather.    Now, I think the seasons are just too subtle, and really miss spring and fall.

When it gets dark at night,  the temperature drops and I find it comforting and "right".    I guess I never got used to it being light until 8pm.   

Trusted Contributor

I'm hypothyroid.  When my thyroid levels are low, I don't like the darkness.  But, in general, I actually enjoy this time of year.  I think I'm naturally programmed to hibernate.  Probably because my metabolism naturally slows down in the winter....just more than other people.

I like the peace and quiet of the winter months.  I like getting into my pj's at 6 or 7 and curling up for the evening.  

And, I just remind myself that in a little over a month, just as the Christmas season is passing, it will gradually start to get lighter again in the evening.  It doesn't last that long.

Now, being snowed in...that affects me, lol.  Can't stand cabin fever.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

I have chronic depression, and the lack of daylight really effects me, cloudy days ,no sunshine, just adds to it, i am soon to be 64, and the cold gets to me, i live in maine!!!!!

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Now that DH is retired and isn't working all those crazy hours I love the evenings and the night time. There is something so cozy about us being home w/our pets.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.