Valued Contributor

Re: HOW DO YOU LIKE SUBARU CARS? MAY BUY ELECTRIC

@qvc chick wrote:

i am looking at a Subaru Solterra - it is an electric car that drives 250 mile before needing a charge.

I don't know anything about Subaru - how do you like them??  Are they reliable and safe?

And does anyone have experience with an electric car?

Need to do some research!

Note that the Solterra is actually made in Japan by Toyota for Subaru.

Not sure if I would buy fully electric yet, would maybe get a Hybrid gas/electric instead.

Honored Contributor

My husband's cousin has owned Suburus for decades without any problems.  At this point I would NOT buy an electric car.

Honored Contributor

Not into electric for sure, but my friend got a Suburu Forrester, likes it very much, non electric . 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I purchased my 2023 Subaru Crosstrek at the end of November in 2022. In fact I had to order my vehicle, because this was when cars were not as plentiful as they are now due to COVID. 

This November will be two years, and I have had not one problem. I perform the regular maintenance, and it still rides smoothly. I also love the AWD. I purchased due to their strong safety record, and would recommend that you review Consumer Reports or Edmunds to get more information.

I would purchase a Subaru again, the only regret that I have was not purchasing the Forester, which is larger then the Crosstrek. 

As for purchasing an electric vehicle it depends upon your lifestyle. I live in Southern California and I still do not feel that adequate infrastructure has been built up that can support electric vehicles. 

Good luck!!

Honored Contributor

I would never even consider an electric car.  Too much trouble and awful for the environment.  Those battery's are too expensive to replace and pollute the earth when they are spent. They are way worse than fossil fuel cars.

That said, I love Subaru cars. We still have a 1996 Outback and just bought our granddaughter a Subaru Forester a few months ago.  She is in college and needed something safe and reliable. She is 19 and loves it.

Subaru's are well made to last a long time and their safety features are amazing.

I would not hesitate to buy another one or recommend them to others.

Honored Contributor

We will never buy an electric car, but we love our Subaru Forester Limited.  We've had it about a year and a half and have really piled on the miles.  The ride is comfortable and the field of vision is excellent.  DH uses more of the fancy stuff than I do.  If /when we ever buy another vehicle it will be another Subie.  Our kids drive Subies too.

Respected Contributor

Not sure about Subarus but there are so many reasons to *not* buy an electric car. Despite what we're being told, the cons definitely outweigh the pros.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

You might want to browse the site solterraforum dot com. You can see what actual owners have to say

solterra.png

Trusted Contributor

My first Subaru was a 2003 Outback.  Except for a 2006 Subaru Tribeca and 2009 Forester, I have had 8 Outbacks.  Just so you don't think what the hec* do I do to my cars, I lease.Woman Tongue  All were the Premium models.  They come with enough "stuff" to meet my needs.  Only thing I add on is a sun roof (gotta have that).

I feel very safe in crazy weather, especially rainstorms, which can be worst than snow.  Only one of my cars, the 2017, had to go back to Subaru more than once for an issue with the passenger seat.  Otherwise, besides regular maintenance, I've never had a problem with any of them.

My sister has also been driving Outbacks. 

We always followed our dad in regard to cars.  Whatever car he drove, we had to have the same (can't explain our thinking).  Since he had been driving Legacy models at the time of his death, we may never change.

As for your question re electric, personally I'm not ready for that.  I would definitely get a hybrid, but not ready for electric.

Good luck with whatever you purchase.

Regular Contributor

My son and daughter in law recently purchased Tesla's . They do enjoy them . They do need to be recharged , some are free and some are pay statiions . Electric autos as any automoblie criteria need to be researched . Wish you luck .