Super Contributor

HOW DO YOU LIKE SUBARU CARS? MAY BUY ELECTRIC

i am looking at a Subaru Solterra - it is an electric car that drives 250 mile before needing a charge.

I don't know anything about Subaru - how do you like them??  Are they reliable and safe?

And does anyone have experience with an electric car?

Need to do some research!

Honored Contributor

Re: HOW DO YOU LIKE SUBARU CARS? MAY BUY ELECTRIC

We thought about buying a Subaru but don't have a dealer here. We are not buying an electric car. I don't think we are quite ready for those yet. 

Respected Contributor

@qvc chick  I had a Suburu Outback 2014 bought new. Very uncomfotable seats for road trips. Sold it back to the dealer a couple years ago. I'd never buy another. The AWD is also very stiff so hard to manuever the steering wheel.  I'm sticking with Toyota or Honda.

Honored Contributor

If you ever take road trips, I wouldn't consider a car that only went 250 miles with no guarantee of there being a place to recharge it.  It makes driving too iffy.  I think we're a long way from being ready for mass electric car ownership.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I bought my first Subaru Outback when my oldest DD was 6 months old.  That was almost 27 years ago and I have had two more Subarus since (Outback, Imprezza hatchback).   I never had any trouble with them maintenance wise and the all wheel drive makes them very safe to drive.  I drove the first two Subarus hard - both had 100,000 miles on them within 7 years which is when I traded them in.  I have had my current Subaru since 2014.  I don't drive this one as hard and should have for a few more years but my next car will definitely be a Subaru. 

Honored Contributor

My DH and I both have Subaru Foresters and love them.  Our previous two cars were also Foresters.  I love the AWD and the way they grip the road.

However, like anything, so much is personal preference.  The best advice is to test drive any car you're interested in.  Also, it's worth reading something like "Consumer Reports" for their annual ratings.

Subaru always rates highly for safety and reliability.  (My previous Forester had nearly 100,000 miles on it, when I traded it in.  Still running perfectly, but I wanted some of the newer features.)

Honored Contributor

@SaveTheTurtles wrote:

@qvc chick  I had a Suburu Outback 2014 bought new. Very uncomfotable seats for road trips. Sold it back to the dealer a couple years ago. I'd never buy another. The AWD is also very stiff so hard to manuever the steering wheel.  I'm sticking with Toyota or Honda.

@SaveTheTurtles 

We did end up buying a Toyota when I bought my car. I know what you mean about uncomfrotable seats. We don't want a vehicle with those. 

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@SaveTheTurtles wrote:

@SaveTheTurtles 

We did end up buying a Toyota when I bought my car. I know what you mean about uncomfrotable seats. We don't want a vehicle with those. 

What kind of Toyota did you buy?  We have a Camry right now but the next one may be a Sienna mini van.  Had one years ago and loved it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Neighbors bought an electric Subaru. They paid over $6k to have a charging station installed at their home and since their house is an older one, it needed an upgraded electrical circuit box plus some additional fireproofing of the garage where they park the car....hmmm.

Honored Contributor

@SaveTheTurtles - I hadn't read your post as I was replying to this thread.

I'm surprised that you had issues with the steering.  I can honestly say my experience with four Subarus is just the opposite.  Smooth, easy steering and great traction.

Funnily enough, when I first moved back here from England 24 years ago, I bought a Toyota Camry because everyone raved about them.  (Had always had VWs before that.)

It was the biggest piece of junk ever and the engine blew at around 100,000 although perfectly maintained.  It was caught up in the class-action lawsuit because of the flaw in the engine that Toyota knew about, but didn't tell customers.

After three years of being stonewalled (like so many other owners), I saw nothing from the lawsuit and it was sold for scrap.  I'd never have another Toyota.  If I was given one or won one, I'd sell it and buy another Subaru!

But that's just my experience.  Like I said in my other post, it's all personal preference (and experience).