Respected Contributor

I certainly don't see how her gesture can be perceived as cold.  She did a kind, thoughtful, and loving thing by sharing family treasures with you.   That she did so means she very much considers you family, too.  Call her and thank her and tell her how much you appreciate having the photos.  

Respected Contributor

Re: HARD TO FIGURE COUSIN!

[ Edited ]

I agree with the other posters here. I think you took this kind gesture the wrong way. I love seeing pic of the days gone by and my family history. I would treasure them if I were you. In fact I think you should call her and say thank you.

Honored Contributor

I'm another who must be missing something from the OP.  Sounds like a lovely gesture to me. Not at all cold.  What am I missing, OP?

Honored Contributor

I totally agree with you...it was a KIND gesture.

@VCamp2748 wrote:

Hmmmm, I don't interpret it that way at all.  Of course I don't know either of you, so I can only speak for how something like that would be interpreted in my own family.

When the 2nd parent dies, the children are left to disperse & dispose of whatever that person had.  Sorting photos & then sending them to the relatives we think would most like to have them would be exactly how we would handle it.  Certainly more considerate to take the time & effort to do that than to just say "what the h***" & throw them away.

Honored Contributor

A nice gesture, I agree.  And she sent you originals, making it even that much better for you.  

Now if you want "cold," consider this.  

One year my sister-in-law (who was married to my  then-husband's brother, so we had the same last name) sent us a Christmas card.  There was no hand-written signature, no listing of the first names of the family, just simply a printed "signature' saying "The XXX Family."  I wanted to throw it away immediately.    

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

She did a kind and generous and loving thing and OP, you managed to turn it inside out and you chose to turn a lovely thing into a bad thing.  Are you always so ingracious?  Did it occur to you that she might have sent the originals to you because she either kept copies for herself or has them on a CD or has them on her laptop?  I say that because THAT is exactly the plan to do.  I have our precious family photos that go back decades.  I've been the caretaker of them since my mom and dad passed and; when I do put them on CD's for various family members; I will give the originals to my sister because she's "old school" and while she does have a computer, I'll let her decide how she wants to preserve the pictures.  My sister will not be insulted, she will be grateful, I'm sure. 

Trusted Contributor

Thanks to you all for giving me a different way to see it!!   I should not have felt hurt by it!Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry, but I do not see your cousins gesture in any other way than a wonderful gift.  Your cousin may have scanned these pictures for herself, and stored the digital images, so that she has them still, and given you the actual pictures.   Not everyone is into printing pictures, and having photo albums anymore.   I think your cousin absolutely considers you family because of her sharing these most precious family memories with you.   Enjoy the pictures, and thank your cousin for such a thoughtful, and precious gift.  

Honored Contributor

@VCamp2748 wrote:

Hmmmm, I don't interpret it that way at all.  Of course I don't know either of you, so I can only speak for how something like that would be interpreted in my own family.

When the 2nd parent dies, the children are left to disperse & dispose of whatever that person had.  Sorting photos & then sending them to the relatives we think would most like to have them would be exactly how we would handle it.  Certainly more considerate to take the time & effort to do that than to just say "what the h***" & throw them away.

That's exactly what I thought ..... she was cleaning house and didn't want to toss the photos so she passed them on the person she thought might appreciate the family history.    It was a thoughtful gesture, IMO

Honored Contributor

Of course i don't know her, but I have to agree with the others.  I didn't even get the kind of vibe that you got from her sending the pictures.

I'd think that if she felt the way that you perceived, she would have just thrown them in the trash.