Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21I am so sorry for your loss.  Grief can be debilitating and life-changing.  I think attending a group, a lot depends upon the dynamics of the members.  So if you don't resonate with one group, hopefully you will have another option.  You have everything to gain by giving it a try.  You are not locked in to a commitment.  Much love.

Respected Contributor

Re: Grief Support Groups

[ Edited ]

I'm so sorry for your loss.  I went to a few sessions of a grief support group after my father died many years ago.  It did help some but not enough that I kept going.  If you aren't comfortable talking you should mention to the leader that you're more comfortable just listening for now.       

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think you have to do what works for you.  You may need to try different groups or therapists until you find the right fit.  

I was widowed in my 30s, and my family and doctor encouraged me to get help.  My first attempt was a widow-widower support group.  It was horrible.  They talked about WWII a lot, and told me I was younger than their grandchildren.  I then tried a general grief support group.  I didn't like that either.  A widow's grief is very specific, and I really needed that perspective.  They actually let a woman in that had lost her dog.  I gave up on groups and decided to see a private therapist.

It took two tries, but I found a great grief counselor.  It turns out I really did need a therapist because I was diagnosed with compound grief.  I also found a Young Widow-Widowers Support Group on Facebook.  I think that was immensely helpful.  Look for a group that fits your needs.  They are private, so no one on your feed can see what you post.  You don't even have to post, but just read.  I can read what the newly widowed post now and see how much better I am--the old me.  I am not that person anymore.  That in itself is a huge help.  I don't always see how much better I am doing until I see what someone else is going through.

I am terribly sorry for your loss.  I know how trying the holidays are.  I have found that the anticipation of getting through the holidays without our loved ones is actually far worse than the actual holiday.  I hope you find what you need to help.

Super Contributor

I have never posted before but my situation is similar to yours. I have read the forums for years just never posted. I was my mother's caregiver for 4 and half years. She passed away June 2018. I have also thought about grief therapy but I am not a group person. I have gone back to work part-time as a substitute teacher. That seems to have helped some because I have to interact with others. I was so isolated when caring for her that I didn't realize how much I missed visiting about mundane things. All my interactions where with mother, sister, home health nurse, doctors, and pharmacist. Friends are busy with their own lives and only two older friends call. They have both lost their parents and understand my situation. I also have to initate contact with other friends. That gets old fast because I feel like I am bothering them since they don't call me. I don't have any answers. I just want to survive the holidays. I am sorry for your loss. I think I will take some of these ladies advice and seek out an online support group.

Honored Contributor

A group could help, you never know.

And it's not really about you.  So don't feel like you will be put on the spot.

The point of group is to feel empathy towards others, in that way, it helps heal your own heart.

Also  a couple of posters have mentioned volunteer work or working with children, or possibly a homeless community.   Between now & New Years there will be many opportunities to serve.   To help those even less fortunate, will help you see how blessed you are to have had a precious mother who left you with such great memories.

After a tragic loss, you are filled with grief, turned inward.

To begin the healing it helps to turn outward.

Honored Contributor

I am probably going to join one...maybe just for a short period of time, but that might be all I need. 

Im comfortable sharing in a group setting.  I went to a caregivers support group for about four years.  This will be the next step, and closure for me.  

Honored Contributor

@software I understand that is the point of the group, I am a very empathetic person. Probably too empathetic if that's a possible thing. Have been told I'm an empath. My grief for the loss of my Mom who was also my best friend is about me though, to process and go through in my own way and time. I took care of her for over three years, with no help from my siblings and treatment from them that was totally unacceptable. I made my own family and my own way through that.

I've been dealing with so many things on top of my grief that I shouldn't be dealing with, from selfish self absorbed people. I'm learning how to filter and manage them but it isn't easy. It's worse than I care to talk about here.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

There are different kinds of support groups.  You may have to try a few to find one you like.  

I went to one after my divorce 20 years ago.  Talking really helped me.  It also helped me think through some issues while in the middle of my grief and pain.  It helped me focus on the kids' needs too, so my own pain didn't cause me to miss theirs.  It was nice to meet others who had 'been there' and were a little further along in the process than me.  It gave me hope.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Greeneyedlady21,   My heart goes out to you and to everyone here.❤️   The comments on this thread are wonderfully perceptive, caring, and warm.   There's so much I could write about grief -- I apologize for the length of this post.   My first encounter with the death of someone close to me was when I was 16 years old, first losing a classmate who passed away on the football field in front of our tender eyes and the next year a jarring loss when my beloved father passed away.   Many others after that, too many to mention.

My experience usually has been that the first year which marked special days, events, anniversaries, can be the most difficult.   It helped me to follow my therapists' advice to "make new memories" at those times and places keenly associated with my loved ones, to use those times and places to celebrate the joy of that person's life and embrace the memories but to weave them together with new traditions or activities.   And, to keep reminding myself that my loved ones would want me to find a way to live in joy and abundance, even though it's different type of joy and abundance since we can't help but be forever changed.   For me, it honors their memory to find ways to live well, even though it's really a struggle sometimes and I don't want to minimize that fact.

I often contributed to a very old Q thread called "Delayed Grief."     I want to post something from that thread, as I think it helps us remember to be mindful when looking at the Kübler-Ross stages of grief, since they can be enormously helpful but they aren't a firm, fixed measure -- they're only a basic reference to help us try and recognize the dizzying array and waves of emotions.  This long article also goes into other facets of the grief process.    This is a small excerpt:

"...Perhaps the stage theory of grief caught on so quickly because it made loss sound controllable...

...Though Kübler-Ross captured the range of emotions that mourners experience, new research suggests that grief and mourning don’t follow a checklist; they’re complicated and untidy processes, less like a progression of stages and more like an ongoing process -- sometimes one that never fully ends.

Perhaps the most enduring psychiatric idea about grief, for instance, is the idea that people need to “let go” in order to move on; yet studies have shown that some mourners hold on to a relationship with the deceased with no notable ill effects.   (In China, mourners regularly speak to dead ancestors, and one study has shown that the bereaved there suffer less long-term distress than bereaved Americans do.)

At the end of her life, Kübler-Ross herself recognized how far astray our understanding of grief had gone.   In “On Grief and Grieving,” she insisted that the stages were “never meant to help tuck messy emotions into neat packages.”   If her injunction went unheeded, perhaps it is because the messiness of grief is what makes us uncomfortable.

Anyone who has experienced grief can testify that it is more complex than mere despondency.   “No one ever told me that grief felt so like fear,” C. S. Lewis wrote in “A Grief Observed,” his slim account of the months after the death of his wife, from cancer.

Scientists have found that grief, like fear, is a stress reaction, attended by deep physiological changes.   Levels of stress hormones like cortisol increase.   Sleep patterns are disrupted.   The immune system is weakened..."  (from newyorker.com/magazine/2010/02/01/good-grief)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear (((greeneyedlady))).   I'm glad you're talking with a grief therapist, yet it sounds as if she's not providing you with useful referrals for additional support.   Please keep looking. ​  You will find gems and pearls, treasures and jewels, in each person's comments and experiences here on the forum and also in your life that will help you and that will speak to you. ​ 

Remember, you are your dear mother's legacy, and you carry her light, her essence, her beauty and her spirit forward as the holder, the teller, and the keeper of her story.   You genuinely are not alone.   My love to you.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo Thank you so much. Your post made me cry. My heart is so tender right now, my feelings are so easily hurt. My Mom's mother died when I was 10, I was very close with her but I was so young that my Mom tried to shield me from that in many ways and of course she had lost her Mom. Her father died before I was born. I wasn't close with my other grandparents at all. All my aunts and uncles have died now, but I wasn't close with them either. So the loss of my Mom is my first major loss as an adult, on top of everything else surrounding it.

No the counselor doesn't give me any concrete help with finding a group. She just suggests trying one.

I miss my Mom so much every minute of every day. She was special. She was so funny, she even made me laugh when she was in hospice with cancer. Everyone who came to the house loved her personality and how funny she was. Every night she would hug me and tell me that no woman could even wish for a better daughter than she had. I miss those hugs more than words can ever say.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"