Respected Contributor

I have a story that makes me believe in God. When my mother was pregnant with me she had to have throat surgery. The doctor said she would lose the baby but could have others. Of course she was upset and crying. She left the ofice and went to church and prayed that she would not lose the baby. She had the surgery and didn't have miscarriage. All she had was an IV for nine days. I was 8lbs12 onces. Three is more to this story but I am too tired to finish. I have to believe that there is supreme being. More of my family do not believe than do. I respect their choices.

Honored Contributor

@Libbylady wrote:

hennypenny said "we live on in the actions & deeds we have done".  Very well said.  Her words mirror my own views.

I have explored the idea of faith or belief with most of my friends.  I have never been afraid to call myself an athiest, but that is a word that can really cause uncomfortable conversations.

Some people can take athiesm as such a personal challenge that they will begin to argue to prove that they know best. 

I believe that each of us has a Legacy to leave for our time on earth.  Some exceptional people will leave a "legacy" that goes on for thousands of years, such as an artist or composer.  Most of us will leave a legacy lasting only one or two generations, and that is fine with me. 

Someday, when my time comes, I hope my friends and family will have the time to simply tell me that I impacted their lives in some positive way.  That will bring me the peace I need to take the last step.  I would not wish to be badgered into a last minute religion when I haven't needed it before.

Maybe the OP's dad is wondering if he did all he could to make others happy or secure.  We never can give ourselves an A+ , but the overview of our life as seen by others can be very comforting.

@LibbyladyAnd on the flip side some aetheists insist that those who believe should dismiss their faith.  It goes both ways.

I personally do not care if one is an aetheist or if one follows any specific religion.  There is always room for dialogue and understanding all walks of life - which is sorely missing in the world.

And just to clarify - the OP did not indicated that she was going to "badger" her dear Dad - he brought up the issue.

Now that he has passed, I wish the OP some peace and solace as she journeys on without her beloved father.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh