Honored Contributor

Re: Gift for a Rabbi

[ Edited ]

I would send a nice donation to the synogogue where he is working now, chances are there is already a donation fund with his synogogue already set up in his name, or just ask him his favorite charity and make a donation in his honor, make sure they are set up to send him an acknowledgement of your gift. You can always make a donation to Jewish National Fund in his name online, and give the info for the acknowledgement, or they will plant trees in Israel in his honor with your gift, whatever you want they will do. 

Honored Contributor

From what I understand the rule of thumb concerning mezuzahs is that if you sold your house to another Jew than your mezuzahs should remain, if not to another Jew then you should remove them. BTW, they are not just placed at the front door, they are to be placed in every doorway in your home. many people I know have 10 or more in their homes. 

Honored Contributor

I agree...a donation in his name is perfect. IMO

Frequent Contributor

Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions! 

I am Jewish and feel comfortable getting a religious-themed gift. The only problem with getting a mezuzah (prices run the gamut) is thatI would also have to purchase a kosher scroll, and those are not inexpensive. I'm leaning toward a gift card right now, but I really wanted to get him something personal. We've been working together for over 2 years and we have a very nice, friendly relationship. He told me that he was being honored and that he would love for me to attend (and I felt very honored!!!). 

I truly appreciate all the thoughtful ideas!

Frequent Contributor

Just wanted to share what I decided upon...

My rabbi client loves to wear funky patterned socks and I always comment on them. I found on etsy some Jewish-themed socks. I think he will really like them!

Respected Contributor

@NoTan4Me ---Perfect!

Things like that mean the most. It shows that you took the time to know him and his quirky ways.

My father was a Rabbi and would have been thrilled by your gift!

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Just a follow-up:

The socks I bought for my rabbi clients were a HUGE hit! It's such a joy to find just the right personal gift, and I'm so glad I took the time and effort to do just that! 

Thank you all for your thoughtful suggestions!!!