Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Gift for a Rabbi

I am a personal trainer who has a rabbi as a client. He is retiring from his congregation next month and will be moving away. I'd like to get him a small gift ($25-50) but I'm rather stumped as to what to get. No books, as he is selling most of his enormous library. Any suggestions?

Honored Contributor

Re: Gift for a Rabbi

[ Edited ]

Amazon.com gift card. 

You can place it in a "good luck on your new chapter' - type card with a personal message.

Nice of you to think of him.  8)

“Green is the prime color of the world, and that from which its loveliness arises.”
(Pedro Calderon de la Barca)
Contributor

I  think that a mezuzah for a door in his new home would be much appreciated. They come in a variety of styles and sizes in a wide price range. Many are within the price  range that you quoted. You can buy them on-line or in a Judaica shop. You can also Google this item if you are not already familiar with it to find out more about it. I think it is lovely that you are giving your rabbi client a farewell gift.

Respected Contributor

@Q-Checker  not meaning to hijack but would one get a new mezuzah for each new home or would you leave it behind for the new homeowners when leaving your old place?

I am a gentile but I do understand their meaning and significance.

Respected Contributor

The family that owned the house before us were Jewish and left the mezuzah behind. We have left it up though we aren’t of the Jewish faith. I don’t  know if this is customary or an oversight but we are happy to have the blessing. 

Contributor

@Snowpuppy: My understanding is that there is no simple answer to your question.  The Rabbi could probably always find a place for a new mezuzah in his new home since obsevant Jews place them on interior doorways (with some exceptions) in addition to the main entry. The question of whether to remove a mezuzah when moving should probably best be answered by the Rabbi client himself. In any event, I am sure that the Rabbi willl appreciate any gift that the trainer selects for him. Aside from something in the Judaica area, he might also like a small piece of equipment related to his exercise regimen. 

Honored Contributor

My advice is if you are not of that faith, stay far far away from getting someone something related to the faith.

A nice gift card--doesn't need to be much!--and a sweet note and that will be cherished and remembered!   

Frequent Contributor

I am Jewish and I also think you should stay away from anything religious. A mezzuzah is a great gift, but you also need to provide the scroll with the blessing that goes inside. It is written by a scribe on animal skin just like the torah. It is not cheap and costs more than the mezzuzah. Some people just use a photocopy, but I can't see a rabbi doing that.

I think a great gift would be a donation to charity close to the rabbi's heart. Perhaps the synagogue has a fund in his name in order to perpeptuate his legacy. Also, sometimes synagogues that are buying new prayer books will take a donation for one and you can purchase one in his honor.  I would contact the synagogue to see what it has going on charity wise. I think those type of gifts mean more to clergy than a gift card.

It is very nice of you to think of him. When a longtime rabbi retires, it is both sad and joyous.

Respected Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

Amazon.com gift card. 

You can place it in a "good luck on your new chapter' - type card with a personal message.

Nice of you to think of him.  8)

Amazon sells give cards, you can send in a box.   These are special.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Stay away from anything religious.  Don't doubt that will be covered by his family, friends, congregation .   He's retiring, starting the next phase of his life and since he is moving, he doesn't need "stuff".  This seems to be a professional relationship so I think, it calls for a gift card.  I'd buy a buy a beautiful card...I prefer blank cards....and add a personal note and put the gift card in it.