Honored Contributor

@newjerseygirl wrote:

We  had a Generac whole house generator installed after Hurricane Sandy.

We had no electricity  for 8 days after Sandy.  

The generator is connected to the gas line for the house.  It turns on as soon as the electricity goes out.

The generator kicks in and runs for 15 minutes once a week as a check.

I also have a maintenance contract for it.  It gets serviced every 6 months to make sure everything is in working order.

@newjerseygirl  How much does the 6 months maintenance cost? Just curious so I know what to expect.

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden The maintenance contract costs about $300 annually.  It gets service 2x a year.  It is such an expensive investment that you want to make sure it is always working properly. 

It is powered by gas through the gas line to my house.  It has to run once a week for about 15 minutes to stay in good working order, like a car engine. 

There is a  Generac box in my garage next to the electric panel.   It all has to be connected so it can kick in when the electricity goes out.  

During the maintenance call, they check out the whole unit and make sure everything is in good working order.  They check the outside unit as well as the box in the garage. 

Also, with the maintenance contract, you have someone who will come and look at it if you have a problem.   

I have had mine for quite a few years now and it is fine,  It has kicked in a few times when the electricity went out.   

If/ when you decide to get one, there are certain requirements (at least where I live) about how close to the house it can be and where it can be positioned.  

When it does kick in, it emits exhaust, just like a car engine.  So, consider that when you decide where to put it.

~Jersey Girls don't pump gas~