Trusted Contributor

Federal retiree and Medicare Part B

I'm approaching my 65th birthday in Sept and will be picking up Medicare.  As a retired federal employee I retained my health insurance that I had when I was working.  My question is:  should I pick up Medicare Part B?  If any of you have a similar situation and could give me your perspective, I would really appreciate it.  I haven't yet begun any research into this.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Federal retiree and Medicare Part B

@DecorDiva 

I'm a Federal Retiree covered by GEHA health insurance which I retained.  I never looked at any other "supplemental" plans because GEHA is comparable or better than any out there.

Secondly, I did take Part B, but I will confess to you I cannot remember why as it has bee 10 years ago that I retired.  I think at the time I retired, it was recommended on some GEHA material I had.

I currently pay $433.80 a quarter and it's gone up a bit since I retired.

For the most part, everything is covered either by Medicare (primary insurance) or GEHA.

I'll try to look into it a bit more and get back to you.  

I'm happy with how things worked out, but always felt GEHA was a good plan.  Comparable to Blue Cross/Blue Shield in that it is fee-for-service.

However, I do go to the doctors listed as "in network" so it simplifies things.  Those out of network often don't take Medicare, so I have been avoiding them.

Honored Contributor

@DecorDiva   I am not a federal retiree so I don't know your answer, but I do know you want to be sure to get good advice  ---  and soon.   If I understand the Medicare law correctly, if you don't have Part B or an accepted alternative to Part B and then decide you want it later, there's a penalty.  I don't know exactly how it kicks it, but once it does, you pay it forever!

Trusted Contributor

@Witchy Woman  -  I know if you don't pick up PartB with Medicare there is an increasing penalty for getting it later.  My health insurance, MDIPA (United Health Care) is good, but I am also in relatively good health now.  I'm thinking about the future, when medical bills could go up.  I will be collecting a very small SS payment (thank you, Windfall Elimination Provision), so that will offset some of the cost of Part B.  Thanks for your reply.

Esteemed Contributor

FeRe: Federal retiree and Medicare Part B

Federal retired here!  I've been on Medicare for 11 years and yes I have Part D in addition to BCBS.  As you were previously advised: be sure you pick up Part B as soon as you are eligible ( if you change your mind later you pay a big penalty forever!).  In addition, at 65 I was able to insure self and spouse ( not other family) at a lesser rate ( so call Geha and check).

Super Contributor

I am a federal retiree with Medicare Parts A and B. On the advice of my physician, I kept my FEP Blue Cross/Blue Shield insurance as my Seconday Insurance. The total for both seems like a lot of money but .... I rarely have to pay for anything out of pocket and have had some serious illnesses, hospitalization, and a stay of about a month in a Skilled Nursing Facility with a lengthy follow-up course of PT. I agree with the other advice you have been given re: not delaying Medicare B, etc. It may also be true that once you have dropped federal health insurance,  you cannot get it later if you are a retiree. This is worth checking into I suggest going for the most comprehensive insurance that you can afford as health care needs increase in senior citizens. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Retired Civil Servant here.  I kept my BCBS coverage from my working days and have medicare part A (which is free to all of us) since my 65th.   So far, it has worked out well.   I had to be hospitalized afew months ago.  Amost everything was covered.  (I had to pay over $100 for the ambulance.)  Even the rehab for 10 days after the regular hospitalization and the home visits/care afterward were covered. 

Also, the co-pay for some meds is paid for by the manufacturer if you do not have medicare part B.  

So, Medicare Part A is my primary and BCBS is secondary (dr. appts., chiropractor, one dentist visit a year,  copays are minimal).  I think almost every one that I've kept in touch with from the office has this setup.  Only one retiree that I know of dropped BCBS and has complete medicare, only 1 guy out of 10.

Trusted Contributor

I'm also a retired fed. I turned 65 last year and have BCBS Standard and Medicare A&B. There really is no one size fits all answer. Based on the few facts you've posted, I think you should take the Part B. I know we don't all start falling apart at 65, but things can happen that aren't caused by your health or age. Things happened to me after turning 65, and I'm glad to be covered by both plans.

Trusted Contributor

There is no way I would ever drop my federal insurance.  It's a bargain for the coverage.  I need to do more research to determine whether Part B would be worth the extra expense.  Having gone through a major medical issue with my husband, I can appreciate how life can change in an instant.  I'm inclined to have more protection rather than less in most insurance situations, so I will probably end up getting it.  I appreciate everyone's feedback.  

Respected Contributor

It's been a while since I retired but I think I remember something about how much insurance pays.  Once you're eligible for medicare, your health insurance is only liable to pay the same amount as what medicare pays.  That's 85 percent and you will have to pay the rest out of pocket.  That can add up in a hurry if you have a major illness.  

I kept my FEHB because if you drop it you cannot get back into the program.  And you will probably find that supplemental plans under medicare are just as expensive  with less benefits.  It is recommended that you take a lower plan that costs less but still pays for the conditions that you personally need.  And be aware of out of network costs.  Medicare will end up paying 85 percent and your FEHB will pay what's left.  

I kept my BCBS but dropped to basic and took Medicare A & B, which BTW every doctor I go to asks if I have it.  I haven't had to pay one dime for any medical expense since I signed up.  That includes a couple of surgeries and lots of PT.

You need to think about the long term instead of the right now.  Lots of stuff starts to happen as we age.  Sure, it seems like I'm spending a lot of money on health insurance but I feel secure knowing that I'm covered.