Esteemed Contributor

Re: Federal retiree and Medicare Part B

@DecorDiva 

I was stunned to hear BCBS offered a rebate (never heard of such a thing).

I'm going to check to see if GEHA does this.  I can't imagine why one would and another wouldn't.

If they do, I've missed out on 10 years worth of rebates.

Esteemed Contributor

@DecorDiva 

@Eileen in Virginia 

Just found this:.  Looks like the reimbursement is done under GEHA High Option only, and just started this year.  I'm in Standard Option self and one, so...I won't get the reimbursement.

GEHA works with Medicare A & B Combine Medicare coverage and GEHA coverage for even better protection.

With GEHA’s High Option or Standard Option combined with Medicare A & B, a sudden hospital stay, a prolonged illness or a major surgical procedure won’t overwhelm your budget.

Highlights when you combine GEHA's High Option or Standard Option with Medicare A & B:

• $600 Medicare Part B premium reimbursement: New in 2020 for the High Option only, this reimbursement will help with your Medicare Part B premium payments. Learn how this program works.
  • Waived deductibles, copays and coinsurance: GEHA waives deductibles, copays and coinsurance whether your provider is in- or out-of-network.
  • No cost to you: For covered inpatient and outpatient hospital services, surgeries and office visits, your cost is nothing.
  • Care wherever you are: If you need medical care while you’re outside the United States, copays and deductibles are still waived.
  • Comprehensive prescription coverage: GEHA’s High and Standard Option plans include quality prescription coverage. High Option members have reduced copays for covered prescriptions.
  • Added coverage: GEHA members also get vision coverage and $2,500 toward hearing aids (every three years).
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Eileen in Virginia : I passed the BCBS rebate info you posted into my FB feed (many of my friends are Federal retirees).  I've already gotten several responses from friends stating they also didn't know about this ( and that each enrollee is entitled to that rebate).

Respected Contributor

@patbz wrote:

@Eileen in Virginia : I passed the BCBS rebate info you posted into my FB feed (many of my friends are Federal retirees).  I've already gotten several responses from friends stating they also didn't know about this ( and that each enrollee is entitled to that rebate).

@patbz  That's great! To clarify, a covered enrollee could be the non-Federal spouse of a Federal retiree. Our friend's spouse was a stay-at-home mom who's covered under his BC/BS FEHB policy. Because she enrolled in Medicare A&B with BC/BS Basic coverage, she's also eligible for the rebate. So they received $1200 in rebates last year and will receive $1600 this year. 

Regular Contributor

Thank you for asking this question and for everyone who has offered information.  We are 61.  My husband is a current letter carrier.  We have standard  Fed. BC/BS.   I have  just started to think about retirement and medical benefits since the age is approaching.  This thread has been very informative.

Valued Contributor

You are getting a lot of good advice. Having worked with insurance in a hospital, I'd say keep the part b and get part d and use the other insurance as your secondary which will pick up your deductibles. We had a woman with dementia who droppped her part b and d. Then she had a major stroke. Needed complete care for every function. Family wanted her at home but they had no money to rent a hospital bed, buy her special formula, or rent her oxygen becashe did not have part b or d any longer. Hospital wanted her out but she had no insurance to cover another hospital because of needing extras that would have been covered by part b and d. Also avoid Medicare advantage plans as they deny, deny, deny. Or nobody takes that plan and your doctors are all out of network. Your other choice is to examine both policies and see if coverage overlaps and which offers you better coverage and is taken by most doctors. I recently had to change insurance and several of my doctors did not take my new Marketplace plan. Now I know which big medical chain and hospital takes this insurance so I keep it even though it's expensive per month. But it pays more of the bills than the cheaper plans and there are providers who take it. The point is examine your coverage, sit down and read the policy. You'll get a fat Medicare book or you can read online at the official Medicare website. Your workplace policy also has to give you a book saying what they cover and how much. 

Super Contributor

I’m not a federal retiree but I have Part B through our former insurance company. It’s pays for all the appts, tests. Example 50,0 out of pocket
On a 1600 MRI. My doctor told me that they don’t take new patients with just traditional Medicare because the reimbursement is so low.
Respected Contributor

@Q-Checker wrote:

I am a federal retiree with Medicare Parts A and B. On the advice of my physician, I kept my FEP Blue Cross/Blue Shield insurance as my Seconday Insurance. The total for both seems like a lot of money but .... I rarely have to pay for anything out of pocket and have had some serious illnesses, hospitalization, and a stay of about a month in a Skilled Nursing Facility with a lengthy follow-up course of PT. I agree with the other advice you have been given re: not delaying Medicare B, etc. It may also be true that once you have dropped federal health insurance,  you cannot get it later if you are a retiree. This is worth checking into I suggest going for the most comprehensive insurance that you can afford as health care needs increase in senior citizens. 

Just turned 65 a few months ago.  Found a small paragraph on OPM website that explains it so I called to verify.  I kept my FEP Blue and got Medicare A/B because I battled cancer 8 years ago and had to pay the catastrophic out of pocket limit which equalled close to $7500 (bc my treatment crossed two calendar years) so it was $5K for the first year and just under $2500 for the few months the next year.  Paying for both (Part B and BCBS FEP) so far means I've not had to pay for recent medical visits - Medicare has picked up the primary and any deductibles or copays have been paid by my FEP Blue as secondary.  

Honored Contributor

@DecorDiva 

My husband retired from GSA in April 2020, we also kept our primary issuance (MHBP) which became our secondary, and he took both parts of Medicare, our view is you never know the future or what will happen tomorrow

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.