Honored Contributor

Re: Favorite Thanksgiving Memory?

My cousin and I were just reminiscing (via DM - she lives several hours away) about Thanksgiving growing up.

Our entire childhood - Thanksgiving was always at our grandparents.  Aunts, uncles, cousins.  It was a mob scene.  Always great fun.  We all grew up sitting at the "children's table."

Just three of us left who remember those days - the two of us and one uncle.

Respected Contributor

As a child, I was so glad to be off school for a few days. I was afraid of my teacher, so for a few days, I didn't get a tummy ache from the anxiety.

The other and better memory, is watching my Father cut up the turkey and giving my brother and me a small piece of the crispy skin to gnaw on.

Respected Contributor

One of my favorite memories about Thanksgiving really doesn't involve the holiday.  My husband was in the military and we were newly married and living in Germany.  We had a few other young couples that we hung out with.  

Since we were all away from our hometowns we decided to spend the holiday together and we went hiking around the beautiful forest that surrounded the area where we were stationed.    After spending the day hiking we all went out to dinner at a really nice German restaurant.  

It was such a lovely day and even after all of these years I still remember the joy we all felt.   We had all come from small towns and never dreamed that we would end up living in a European city and being able to experience all that we did.  

I know none of us took those years for granted.  We were grateful for the opportunity that we had been given.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My happiest Thanksgivings were the few short years we made dinner at my house, not going to a stress dinner at my acidic step mother's.

My aunt came, she stired the gravy and we spoke of family history I had never heard.  (She went out on the deck to smoke!lol!).  My Daughter In Love helped somewhat and got to hear everything.

Those maybe 4 years are a blessed memory.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@susielong1   I use the recipe from the old Pillsbury cookbook, it's a basic pumpkin pie recipe, with eggnog (full fat, natural sugars) instead of evaporated milk or cream.  Any recipe you have you can use, just switch out the cream/milk and use regular eggnog instead.  I have a favorite local dairy brand of eggnog I use, but any good eggnog you like to drink plain would work fine.  I would suggest avoiding low-fat or artificial sweetener/flavoring ingredients, as I don't know how those would effect the texture of the custard when being baked.  You can reduce the amount of brown sugar or white sugar you use in the recipe if you think the eggnog will make it too sweet.  Since my DH is diabetic, I now use a monkfruit sweetener instead of sugar in my pie, and it works fine, but not all artificial sweeteners respond well to heat, so that's why I would avoid using an artificially sweetened eggnog, unless you are sure the sweetener tolerates heat.  Sucralose does, for instance, but aspartame and some others don't.  Hope this helps!

Trusted Contributor

Thanksgiving was pretty much the same for me over the years. My Mom always cooked and we had the whole family and a wonderful meal. Oh how I miss those days. Now that my parents are gone, it's just not the same as being at their house with everyone. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have loved all previous Thanksgivings (my favorite holiday) that included my whole family and we cooked the meal from scratch.

Now, sadly, my 98 year old mother is in assisted living and is practically a prisoner in her room, and the rest of us 3 children are having thanksgiving separately at our homes. I am 72 and "at risk", my youngest brother is working in the office one day a week so we are not getting together, and my other brother has 3 children and is celebrating with his family. Fortunately we have enough money to buy delicious take-out.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

The only one that stands out for me is the year my husband and I took off for New Orleans for the 4 days we had off.  There was a restaurant on the main street that had a buffet with a line to tradional and one to New orleans style.  Of course we wanted the New Orleans style and it was the best I ever had.  Also driving home there was a tornado following us on the interstate.  I have never driven that fast.  

Esteemed Contributor

@J Town Girl wrote:

One of my favorite memories about Thanksgiving really doesn't involve the holiday.  My husband was in the military and we were newly married and living in Germany.  We had a few other young couples that we hung out with.  

Since we were all away from our hometowns we decided to spend the holiday together and we went hiking around the beautiful forest that surrounded the area where we were stationed.    After spending the day hiking we all went out to dinner at a really nice German restaurant.  

It was such a lovely day and even after all of these years I still remember the joy we all felt.   We had all come from small towns and never dreamed that we would end up living in a European city and being able to experience all that we did.  

I know none of us took those years for granted.  We were grateful for the opportunity that we had been given.

@J Town Girl, How fortunate you were to have that experience early in life.  Such an experience broadens your outlook forever.

Not about Thanksgiving, but...My DH and I are very up in years.  His parents came to America from Germany after WWI.

He and his sisters were born here.  Several years back we went to Germany, to where his parents were born and brought up.  Then onto the German alps and other spots.  Loved every minute and met with relatives there.  Treated like celebrities.

Funny thing - our last name is Norwegian.

When this virus is over, if we are still here, we want to go to Italy.  One place we have never been and want to see.

Esteemed Contributor

I couldn't really come up with a favorite.   We were always blessed at Thanksgiving and have wonderful memories of grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins!    Guess they are all favorite memories Smiley Happy  Thankfully still building on them.