Honored Contributor

Re: Favorite Thanksgiving Memory?

My Dad grew up on a chicken farm before they turned it into a fairly large hotel in the Catskill Mountains in NY. He saw many a pet chicken and turkey meet the big commercial oven and would never eat poultry. Each year at Thanksgiving, one of us pre-ordered and stood in line at the Honey Ham store for a sprial cut ham. 

Dad's been gone almost 7 years, but in his "honor" we still have turkey and a ham on the Thanksgiving table. We visited with my son and granddaughters yesterday. We'll be having separate thanksgiving meals, but we had a good laugh when we discovered we had each ordered 1/2 Honey Ham in honor of Dad/Grandpa/Great Grandpa. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mombo1 You hit the jackpot - grandparents living across the street from one another. Makes me smile. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

@Flatbush Was your teacher's name Mrs. Ragner? Asking for a friend who started stuttering in her class. Magically went away in next grade. Glad you have fabulous memories of Thanksgiving. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

@J Town Girl  The original Friendsgiving - great story. 

Esteemed Contributor

Spending Thanksgiving on my honeymoon and enjoying dinner at a 5-star Carribean resort.

Trusted Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

@Mombo1 You hit the jackpot - grandparents living across the street from one another. Makes me smile. 

@jeanlake   It was great.  As sad as we were when they all passed away....

I still had the happy memories of their homes.....Over the years I always wished I could see those homes again.  My brother called me a few years ago to tell me this neighborhood is an official historic district now. They originally housed the steel workers families in the town of Donora Pa.   All the houses still exist and they were offering a walking tour of the neighborhood.  We signed up ASAP and took the tour.  It was an experience of a lifetime to see our grandparents homes again after 50 years.  We are planning to go again next summer.  This time I will take my grandkids too.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

2005. It was the last one with both my Dad and Mom.  My three brothers were there and everyone enjoyed the day/no fights or negativity. Now there is only me and my youngest brother and I am thankful everyday that I still have him and my SIL in my life.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Growing up, we went to my Grandmother for Thanksgiving but we never had turkey or sweet potato casserole or pumpkin pie. My grandmother would always have roast chicken plus many Jewish foods that we would have for other holidays....homemade potato blintzes, stuffed cabbage, kasha varniska, cole slaw, apple cake! Plus more. She would make enough for everyone to take bundles home. I don't know how she did itall herself with her little stove and refrigerator!

Some years after I graduated I flew home for Thanksgiving eagerly anticipating my Grandmother's  cooking. Much to my horror, my mother had reservations at the local Chinese restaurant! She said it was too much for my grandmother to do. 

Also, as a teacher I would have an enactment of the Thanksgiving feast with my class. After transferring to a new school, I planned to do my usual preparation of all sides with my kindergartners and have my room parent order the turkey from Publix. We all dressed and wait for the turkey to arrive.  Finally, an hour later the parent showed up to 24 starving kids. Ellie from the Deli forgot to put the turkey in on time!!!

Another year, 2 nd grade, the room parent DROPPED the pan with the turkey in the class doorway. It plopped up and out onto the cement! Luckily, no one saw. She scooped it up and no one knew!

In later years and older grades, we just had pie tasting. Everyone brought a pie and we invited teachers and staff in. Delicious and much easier.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Honored Contributor

When I taught in Japan there were no turkeys. Thanksgiving was coming up. The interpreter at the Japanese school where I taught and I were born on the exact same day and year, and we became close quickly. So I was able to get a turkey from the Army, and I asked Kumiko to come over. 

I'd never made a turkey and Mom wasn't around. I washed it, but forgot to clean it out. Then I put the bread mix inside. It took forever to cook. My next door neighbor came over to help, picked up the turkey, and the soggy bread cubes fell out. I had stuffed the wrong end, and parts of the turkey were not cooked. She also pulled out the parts I hadn't.

We enjoyed the sides and pumpkin pie I made.  Smiley Wink

I did get to redeem myself and have a good turkey dinner for Kumiko later! But don't ask about the corned beef and cabbage I made her for St. Patrick's Day!  Smiley LOL

Respected Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

@Flatbush Was your teacher's name Mrs. Ragner? Asking for a friend who started stuttering in her class. Magically went away in next grade. Glad you have fabulous memories of Thanksgiving. 

No, sounds as if she was a meanie too lol 

Have a greyt holiday.