Valued Contributor

FULL time RV-ing / Anyone here do this?

HI all,

We're 62 and have three more years to work FT.  We're strongly considering selling our house (we were moving out of Michigan anyway) and instead of moving south to one place, now we're considering Full Time Rv-ing.  We don't have our parents, our son lives in Florida and my brother lives there, too.  We've decided (even before Irma) that we're not moving there year round......so now the crazy thought about buying an RV has surfaced.

Do you know anyone who does this?  Hubby has been reading forums non-stop and it's amazing how many people do this.  

I said all I need is my dog, a TV, the internet and a decent bed/couch.  We've ridden a motorcycle for years and have traveled in many states on the bike.

We're strongly considering this !

Spoiler
Smiley Happy
Super Contributor

Re: FULL time RV-ing / Anyone here do this?

Never done it but it would be a dream come true!!  

Honored Contributor

I have known one couple who did.  In less than a year they sold the RV and bought another house.  Other than that, no I've never known anyone to do that.

Valued Contributor

That's why we want to be pretty sure.  

The forums he's reading haven't had anyone say they don't like it, in fact, just the opposite!

Respected Contributor

my sis and her hubby did this.

sold all property.

bought rv.

live in it full time.

go when and where ever the mood strikes.

they love it.

plan is when they get tired of it or too old to do it they will buy small house or such.

good way to size down!   i would have to get rid of alot!

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Respected Contributor

@tarsmom wrote:

That's why we want to be pretty sure.  

The forums he's reading haven't had anyone say they don't like it, in fact, just the opposite!

I'm not an RVer myself but I have to assume the people on these forums are there because they like it.  If there are people who tried it and didn't like it they would not be on those forums.  I think you should see about getting opinions other than the forums.  Good luck.

Honored Contributor

I had a friend who did this for many years until health issues caught up with her and her husband.  It sounds like fun in theory but I know it's not for me full-time.  We decided to be snowbirds between WA and AZ.  

There are endless blogs about people who are full-timers.  Some publish their yearly budgets.

Honored Contributor

My husband amd I have joked aboout doing that.  And I can't help but think - why not give it a try and it you don't like it, then buy a house.

I would also during the trial run, rent a storage unit. And fill with furniture and stuff. So you have something to put in the house, if you decide to stop RVing.

My cousin bought a Type A RV last week, And it trying it out this week. They are not going to do it full time - just part time. I am interested to hear how she liked it.

Occasional Contributor

There are many how-to books about full-time RV living on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. Find titles that appeal to you and get them from your local library for free. Purchase later if you find ones you really like or need! 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I fulltimed it for 5 years, but then money got tight....fuel is expensive and was really expensive most of the time I was on the road..like $4.50/gal.of diesel.  I bought the house I'm in seven years ago with the intention of selling it after three years to make money.  Well I have made a bundle on the house, but now I'm old and don't feel I have the physical strength to RV it.

However, I miss fulltiming.  I loved it. I would do it again tomorrow if I had a partner.  There is hard physical labor involved and I'm not up to it.  And this makes me quite sad.

To me the ideal would be to part time it like one of the earlier responders said she does. Own a small house that is very safely located and doesn't need maintenance, like someone else does the yard, or the snow removal, or whatever and then spend at least half the year on the road.  I was planning this route but Hurricane Harvey demolished the town I was planning to move to.

I know a great deal about this subject, but probably shouldn't write a book here.  Two most important bits of advice:  don't buy a new RV,  whether it be a truck/pull trailer combo, truck/fifth wheel, or any type of motor home ...

because they dramatically lose value immediately and people change their minds after living in something for a while.  The RV great for vacations is not the same RV great for full time living.  And don't finance the RV.

The second advice is:  keep sufficient funds to be able to buy a house or whatever when you are ready to hang up the keys, whether that is in a year or ten years.