Honored Contributor

Re: FORGIVE ME, BUT HAVE TO GO THERE

[ Edited ]

@roxxy1 wrote:

I sit here crying and afraid.

@roxxy1 - I'm so sorry. Truth be told I think most people would admit to at least having some fear. I know I do.  I think that is totally normal. 

It is such an uncertain, weird, scary time. Will I get the virus?  If I do will I survive it?  Who would take care of my husband (who more than likely would not survive the virus)?   How about my family?  One of my nephews lives in the San Francisco area and they've been shelter in place for awhile now. He lives alone. 

When you go to the grocery store, it's just so unsettling.  Not as many choices on the shelves which is an "in your face" reminder of the uncertainty of it all.  And everyone staying far apart. 

I don't have any huge words of wisdom for you, but try to take comfort that what you are feeling is normal.  Try to find what brings you joy....jigsaw puzzles, silly but good escape movies on the Hallmark Channel, game shows, reread old books you enjoyed at another time.

I think these boards are a good escape and I am thankful for them.

Take care of yourself.  This too shall pass but apparently it's going to be a bumpy ride as it passes. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

My mother is almost 98 years old and mentally sharp. She said in some ways the pandemic feels worse than WW2. She explained that FDR was such a strong leader during the war that he really helped people get through those very worrisome times. She was only around 19 when the war began so she said she's not sure if she was mature enough to take it all in but people did unite and support each other back then. Poliical opinions did vary but for the most part most Americans were devoted to the cause. They sacrificed because it was required. I just hope we have the resilience of The Greatest Generation.

We also sacrificed because we had been used to doing it, having gone through the Great Depression, not to mention the fact that life was just harder and more unpredictable then.  Diseases and accidents claimed the lives of many, and what social safety net there was was marginal.  Our society as a whole hasn't been required to do anything like that since.

It also didn't feel so bad because back then we were still physically isolated from the greatest dangers.  In the United States we didn't fear going out or being near to one another.

But there were plenty of grim days then, too.  Many a time during both the Depression and The War we didn't know how it all would end, and where we would be when it did.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Because of the sadness, anxiety, fears and all the other feelings cited in the original post and by others who have responded, I'm discussing this situation with only a few close friends and family... At the same time, I'm doing my level best to avoid threads like this one, the incessant 'update' threads, the overly dramatic threads, the 'aren't we blessed' and the 'let's make this something positive' threads. I'm sorry but to me, none of them is useful. This is a very real situation, it is frightening, there is nothing inherently positive about it and the only related blessing will be if and when it's being better managed than it is right now. Each to their own and for those obtaining some kind of comfort from these threads, have at it, but from where I sit, they don't accomplish anything and, in fact, just further reinforce the rotten reality... With no intended offense or wish for confrontation, this is how I feel...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Of course I worry about those affected by the virus and those working diligently to defeat it, and those doing their best to keep our Country going with food and supplies.  

But I worry just as much about how the  necessary measures to contain the virus, and the isolation, laid off workers, shortages of medical supplies and food,etc. are going to affect the long-term economics and freedom of our great country as well as our people.

I can't help but think that our Country and its people will be changed and not in a good way.  Isolation, although necessary in this time, has its effect on the mental health of people even if in a small way in addition to those for which it creates extreme anxiety and depression. 

Then there is the long-term effects on our economy.  I think we are in for alot of changes when this is over.  One that immediatey comes to mind is telemed with our physicians.  I can see insurance companies promoting this and also some physicians to ease their practice, but I cannot see if being of benefit to the patient.  I had a very important appointment on April 8 changed to telemed.  I'm to call the physician at my appointment time.  Also my April appointment with my primary care doctor has changed to telemed.  I understand the necessity at this time, but I can see it going on into the future.  

This also has to affect how our children see the future and their security in our world.

Honored Contributor

@VivianJust read a Time magazine interview with historian Doris Kearns Goodwin -  she echoes what your mother remembers, giving FDR lots of credit

Honored Contributor

This cannot be compared with any war.  We are fighting an invisible enemy.  We  cant send out the troops to conquer it.  We are the troop.  We have to continue doing our part and ignore the cowards that are disobeying orders.

A lot of sadness is due to the fact that there is too much talk, TV, and internet about it with every "expert" out there giving their take on the crisis. 

This will pass and the world will get back to its old self in due time.

God bless us all.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

This is something so new for all of us. While I don't sit and cry every day as that will get me nowhere and if I'm out, I have to stay focused on what I need to do in a short period of time.

I'm glad certain cities in my area have finally closed down all hotels, motels, condos, Air BnB, VRBO and any other rentals out there. Our State Parks are closed. In the news yesterday, staff at one hotel was explaining to a visitor that because of the pandemic he had to leave by noon Saturday, he became so irate they had to call the police to remove him. He was po'd that they were not making other arrangements for him - What?

Also, had they stopped the Spring Breakers and other visitors from coming the last two weeks, maybe our numbers would not have shot up from what we had. This state is truly focused on the visitors and money.

My other thought that  brings me to tears is my daughter lives in Westchester County NY with my 3 granddaughters. She is a single mom trying to keep her wits about her with no help from her ex. She still has to work a couple of days per week as schedules are staggered, but she has to take the kids with her.

I pray that neither she nor the kids catch this awful disease and hope if and when it passes my hubby and I will be able to see them again - provided we don't get it.

Wishing you all to stay safe and healthy.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

I share your concerns and the concerns of others who have posted.  DH and I try to be smart and stay house-bound but the very fact you don't know who carries the virus is alarming.  I now prepare all our meals but have to go for groceries every week.  I read a few days ago that over 50% of those infected so far are under the age of 50, and it's infected all age brackets.  Many members of my family are in careers where they have to work during this crisis and, of course, that scares me too.

Dr. Fauci's prediction today (CNN State of the Union) that 100,000 to 200,000 Americans may die from the Covid19 virus is really scary and suggests this may be a long-term virus.  As of today around 2,200 deaths have occurred, and about 250,000 people have been infected nationwide so Dr. Fauci's prediction is astronomical!  Dr. Fauci is a well respected and learned professional who has worked in the infectious disease field for many years and I do not to think he is overstating the possibilities which should scare us all. 

It's so hard to love each other from a distance but that is what we are called to do at this time.  With all the unknowns, will that ever change?  I hope so.  After all we are social people, not meant to be distant from one another.  Stay strong and diligent.  ((Hugs))

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Respected Contributor

My father served in World War II in the Navy in the Pacific.

DH and I just watched the 2016 movie Hacksaw Ridge last night (based on a TRUE story), to see how our brave soldiers faced death, hardship and terrible violence in service to their country.  

The movie is very moving, and proves we can survive and prevail if we have faith and trust in the goodness of our brothers.

Lots of lessons for today, and every day.

Honored Contributor

I don't worry about things.  I say my prayers and ask God to look over people, but I know I can't control things, so I don't worry about it.

I've sent out texts and emails to friends and family quite extended (people who know people and relatives way back) and so far (other than my daughter and her 3 friends) no one has gotten the virus.

My daughter knows exactly where she got it (the town) skiing.  Her boyfriend didn't get very sick from it.  My daughter did for a few days and some of it lingered as far as headache and chest tightness.  But she's pretty young and is in excellent health other than her thyroid.  I think it really helped her.

The thyroid Dr doubled the dossage about 2 weeks before she got the virus.  She only has 1/2 thyroid and will have to have the other removed.

Anyway, I think a lot of it is where you live, what area.

My niece lives in West Virginia.  She's an RN and a phlebotomist.  She said no one in her hospital or town has it.

She lives in a town that's spread out, just like the area I live in.  Even in Fairfax County, Arlington, etc.  They are all still spread out quite a bit with mostly houses.

My point is people don't come in contact with each other as much as New York.  

I stated before that where I live you must have a car to get around.  There is very little public transportation.  People must drive to the metro when going to work.  Even then the metro gets full sometimes but I don't think it's as much in areas like New York.

Out where I live and in the DC, Maryland and Virginia areas you pretty much almost have to have a car unless like in New York you live right in the heart of DC.  But even there there are still a lot of place you'll need a car.

My heart goes out to those places where the virus is so prevalent.  I think we all feel that way.

It not like they went out on purpose to get the virus, it just happened to them.

I hope things get better soon.