Honored Contributor

Re: Everything peaceful starts by stopping

@jeanlake

I love that phrase "going to the balcony."  I hadn't heard it before, but I am going to incorporate it into my life not only for what it promises, but for the very image it creates.

I found myself at the vet's office this afternoon, uncomfortably waiting, and happened to start deep breathing (at first it wasn't even deliberate) and found almost immediate relief.  Mindful breathing is rather magical.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

Homegirl, 'Going to the balcony' is a phrase used in mediation and negotiation writings. It's an expanded version of  taking a cleansing breath. Another powerful phrase is 'Be Silent. Be safe.' This has saved me from regret more than a few times.

If you enjoy this topic, read Dr. William Ury's book, The Third Side. (there's your side, my side and the more accurate, third side) The third side is a place we want to get to when trying to reach compromise with individuals or groups.     

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Thank you, @jeanlake

There is a surprisingly large amount of content shown in the "Look Inside" feature for this book on amazon.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.