Valued Contributor

Re: Empty Shelves In Your Area?

I'm in Western Ny (Buffalo)--- I usually shop at @ 1:00 A..M.- 3:00A.M.-- because I'm a nightowl- -- there are a few "regulars" like me at  those hours and the cashiers know us by name- Imagine my surprise when I turn into the parking lot at WEGMAN's and it's loaded with cars- I assumed it was extra workers to stock shelves- but the cashier I mostly go to met me at the door (she was on break) and said " I don't know if you even want to bother- - pulled out her smartphone and showed me the photographs of shelf after shelf of emptiness! I said well I just need to get some dairy and produce so I'll get that and maybe stop tomorrow after the trucks unload- (which she said were there)---and the staff was trying to re-stock ---- NO produce- no eggs- no bread- no meats- no baby wipes no sanitizer or any kind- no alcohol wipes (for diabetic use) no alcohol- no paper products no bottled water no DOG FOOD!! no frozen pizzas, meals etc. People had got their kids out of bed (I assume) brought them in pajamas- gave them money to check items out when they found them because most of the cleaning supplies, hand cleansers, and paper products (toilet paper) were only allowed 3 per---- HOW RIDICULOUS and DISGUSTING IS THAT?? DOG FOOD???--- honestly if they'd quit with the constant interruptions of regular tv - the "banners" that run across the programs the constant "reports" and telling people to go to their Doctor's offices if they "feel" sick instead of the emergency rooms -- (which is ridiculous because if  you have ANY virus the doctors can't to much and you're crowded in with people who WILL make you sick too whether or not it's the corona virus or some other one!!! THIS IS ABSURD THE WAY THIS IS HANDLED-- PRETTY SOON PEOPLE WILL BE DIGGING BOMB SHELTERS IN THEIR BACK YARDS AND GUARDING WITH SHOTGUNS!!  I'LL Tell you this- I'm SICK from all this rudeness and hoarding and ridiculous way the whole gov't and MEDIA has handled this. Ok I'm done ranting now. Goodnite.

Valued Contributor

UPDATE:-- stopped at 4:00 today- they had bananas! Shelves were empty by 2:00P.M of the "essentials" I mentioned earlier (including dog and cat food) -- Seems the media told people if they got the virus they'd have to be quaranteed "in home" as long as it wasn't really bad- and to make sure they had their pet food as well as all the other stuff and you had to designate ONE ROOM for all of it and stay in it!)---- anyhow- the shelves which supposedly been restocked were all empty AGAIN- and now WEGMAN's which was a 24 hour open store- has now gone to open from 6:00Am to 12:00 midnite - then closing for restocking- SO that  means EVERYONE will be crowding in there at once anyhow- and people who are working will probably not be able to get anything if they go later since the "HOARDERS" and IGNORANT people will clear everything out early again. HOW Is shortening hours of shopping going to help other than to make long lines of (possibly) a SICK person sharing their germs? 

Valued Contributor

paper napkins are not to be seen here. (read my rants!)

Respected Contributor

Everybody

Image result for calm down

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Respected Contributor

I went to the store several days ago, before this mess was declared a 'pandemic,' and the store was well stocked.  I only picked up a few more than usual routine items, thinking foolishly, that folks here wouldn't go nuts and we'd all still be able to -- at least, find something to eat there. 

I was wrong!  A friend who shops at the same store just sent me several photos of one empty shelf after another. No meats, no produce, no frozen items -- and, of course, no cleaning, or disinfecting items. I mean, shelves stripped to the metal.

It looks like something you'd read about in a novel, or see in an apocalyptic movie. I have to say it made me feel momentarily physically sick.

I'm beginning to become more afraid of people, than the virus. How will they be behaving, if things really get bad. I shudder to think.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in Colorado and went to the store on Wednesday and bought what I needed. There was plenty of groceries except for toilet paper, hand sanitizer and wipes. My son went to Costco and didn't say anything about food shortages. What you are stating is frightening. 

I was listening to the news today and the food banks were hurting because the stores didn't have extra food. People are really losing their minds. Very interesting.

Update: My Son said Costco was low on many items and they did not have ramen or frozen lasagna.

Esteemed Contributor

The same thing is happening where I live. I’m an early riser so I decided to go grocery shopping early (6:30 am) to get it out of the way.  I was shocked to find the parking lot crowded and many empty shelves.  Normally there are only a few people in the store at that time of day. 

Frequent Contributor

I agree everyone needs to calm down.  Every one is going crazy. I need to go to the grocery store tomorrow (Saturday).  After reading this thread i am afraid.

Esteemed Contributor

Yep.....some empty shelves but they had 2 store managers on TV that said thay are NOT having any supply problems....it is people just buying up stuff as soon as it comes in.....

Sam's Club somewhere had a fist fight and one person was carried out on a stretcher over buying stuff...

Honored Contributor

I worked in customer service at a grocery store for a few years after retiring. I was there yesterday and all the paper towels, toilet paper, cleaning, and sanitizing products were gone.  The shelves for canned and boxed food were low.  I was visiting with one of the managers and he said they are having record sales in center store goods...which includes these kinds of products.  I know people need to keep tp on hand but this is nuts.