Super Contributor

Re: EYE FLOATERS

[ Edited ]

2Bonde -- That is so funny!  When I first got my floaters, there were a whole bunch of them that feel down all at once in my lleft eye.  I was in my kitchen and screamed because I though a big spider had come down from the ceiling and was in my eye.  haha.  Now, a year later, I don't even notice them unless I make a point to try and see them.  It's horrible and scary at first though.

Honored Contributor

@catpat

I have had floaters for 20+ years.  They do not go away.  They are more noticeable for me when it's cloudy; when it's sunny they are less bothersome.  After a while you will get used to them and may not even notice them nearly as much most of the time.

If you have flashes of light that appear out of nowhere get to a ophthalmologist immediately.  This could be a detached retina and requires surgery asap.  My husband had surgery for detached retina two years ago.  He's fine now.

Internet Excerpt:   ...

"... Sometimes a section of the vitreous pulls the fine fibers away from the retina all at once, rather than gradually, causing many new floaters to appear suddenly. This is called a vitreous detachment, which in most cases is not sight-threatening and requires no treatment. 

However, a sudden increase in floaters, possibly accompanied by light flashes or peripheral (side) vision loss, could indicate a retinal detachment. A retinal detachment occurs when any part of the retina, the eye’s light-sensitive tissue, is lifted or pulled from its normal position at the back wall of the eye.

A retinal detachment is a serious condition and should always be considered an emergency. If left untreated, it can lead to permanent visual impairment within two or three days or even blindness in the eye.

Those who experience a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light in peripheral vision, or a loss of peripheral vision should have an eye care professional examine their eyes as soon as possible..."

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Esteemed Contributor

Have had one following my one eyeball movement around for a long time, have become so used to it I don't notice it anymore unless I for some think about it, as reading this made me do. Other than that, once in a great while I get, uhmmmm, how to describe? Little ziggy zaggy lines that sort of flash. They go away after a short time, usually just a few minutes.

Super Contributor

I've had floaters for many, many years -- long before I was old.  So I'm used to them and hardly ever notice them.  But what really threw me was the day I was napping and when I opened my eyes, everything was green -- even my cat! I blinked and all was back to normal.  My eye doctors told me its a brain thing, and not to worry.  Ever see a green cat?

Trusted Contributor

I've had three floaters, 2 in the left eye and one in the right for a few years now. Went for an eye exam when each showed up. They're free floating and not attached to the retina so they aren't dangerous.

Yes, I see gnats and flies and things in my home out of the corner of my eye(s) here and there.....I say that you're never alone when you have floaters!

An old wives tale is that if you go outside at night and look up at the moon for 16 minutes each day they will go away. I did that for awhile when I used to take my dog out in my front yard after dinner....didn't work for me but you never know...I did enjoy looking at the moon though.

I'm pretty much used to them by now but still have to check here and there if there's really a fly in my house or if it's just me and my floaters.

Candy

Honored Contributor

@catpat

I have had experiences with them for years. Before my Cataract Surgeries and after. They vary at times to differing sizes and sometimes are in my direct line of vision, other times more in my peripheral vision.

What helps me is closing my eyes and rolling them around in every position and which-a-way they will go. It always helps, and sometimes they completely disappear. I have learned to live with them because at this point I am not aware of any procedure that can completely eliminate them.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I've also had floaters since I had my babies.... my first was 9lb and came away with floaters from the strain.  THEN I had my 10 1/2lb baby and added some more floaters. Been living with them for 35 years.  You do get used to them even tho you can see them.... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I've experienced eye floaters 3 times in the last 2 years and they disappeared after a few weeks.

Honored Contributor

I can remember being in my high school history class and had a floater.  After that, I guess I wasn't as bored because it seems it "floated off"!

Honored Contributor

I have had a large floater in one eye and a couple little ones in the other eye for years.  I got used to them.  The only time I have issues is in super bright light or sun.  I wear sunglasses outside.  My eye dr said to not do anything about them because it's dangerous to vision.  I'd rather be deaf and mute than blind.  

I had a torn retina last year and asked my eye surgeon about them.  He said it's best not to mess with them as they could become much worse and it could hurt my vision.  It was good to hear him say the same thing as my regular eye dr.  

It may take a little while but you'll get used to them and your eyes will adjust to seeing beyond them.