I am a hairdresser and in beauty school our instructor would always correct someone when they would say to pluck your brows,  SHE WOULD SAY  PLUCK A CHICKEN AND TWEEZE YOUR BROWS...PLEASE FOWARD THIS TO THE HOST SHAWN.

WATCHING QVC OR ANY OTHER CHANNEL OWNED BY QVC  I HAVE OUND THAT NOT TOO MANYOF THE HOSTS MAJORED IN ENGLISH

Honored Contributor

@gravy46 

Sorry, using that phrase has NOTHING to do with proper English.

According to the dictionary, her use is totally acceptable

pluck
/plək/

• pull some of the hairs from (one's eyebrows) to make them look neater.
    "whether you pluck your eyebrows depends on your type of looks"

They do not forward these threads to hosts. 

Kinda calling the kettle black when your post has misspelled words, typos and missing punctuation.

All caps is considered yelling, just in case you didn't know.

I don't care whether we pluck or tweeze.  Really doesn't matter.  However, whatever you do...don't do it too much!  Brow hairs don't always grow back!   LOL

Honored Contributor

@gravy46    Seems you're also a wee bit behind the times in your definitions and terminology.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@gravy46 

I went to cosmetology school, too, albeit 45 years ago.  The word pluck was correctly used.  Your instructor got it wrong.  That is within the scope of possibilities. As they say, they are only human.

Respected Contributor

@gravy46 

It sounds more professional and pleasing to a client to hear the word tweeze instead of pluck.  I would guess that is the reason why the instructor taught the use of the word tweeze.

Honored Contributor

@gravy46   Your teacher may have been an excellent hairdresser, but she knew only a little about language -  and you believed her, apparently without ever thinking to check the definition of pluck before you shouted at QVC and Shawn.

Honored Contributor

Good grief, who cares????

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@gravy46 wrote:

I am a hairdresser and in beauty school our instructor would always correct someone when they would say to pluck your brows,  SHE WOULD SAY  PLUCK A CHICKEN AND TWEEZE YOUR BROWS...PLEASE FOWARD THIS TO THE HOST SHAWN.

WATCHING QVC OR ANY OTHER CHANNEL OWNED BY QVC  I HAVE OUND THAT NOT TOO MANYOF THE HOSTS MAJORED IN ENGLISH

@gravy46 You registered here for that?  Woman Frustrated

Respected Contributor

@gravy46   English 101. Either pluck, or tweeze can be used. Granted, tweeze sounds a bit more professional, but they mean the same thing. 

Definition tweeze:  To PLUCK, remove, or handle with tweezers.

Btw, most jobs don't require a major in English. I've worked with some brilliant minds who were horrible spellers and grammatically challenged.  But, I suspect, even they would defend that you can 'pluck' your brows.

Honored Contributor

@gravy46 wrote:

@gravy46 

Always read your post and check for sentence structure, grammar, spelling, punctuation, verbiage and protocol errors before submitting, if your intention is to correct others. 

Not all posters are/were English majors.  In fact, few are/were but even those who are/were, are lenient on informal blogs.  Should the hosts make a misstatement, remember they are talking off-the-cuff and given less than an instant to get the word(s) right.  Many use incorrect grammar from time to time, some more than others, but their job is to present an item.  In fact, their grammar is no worse than most of the talking heads and newscasters on TV, many of whom hold BA degrees in communication, master's degrees in English and others who hold juris doctorate degrees.  Yet, some of their English skills border on cringeworthy.  

Can we all be more respectful of one another in this department and remember that we are all human.