Esteemed Contributor

Doves are lovely gentle birds. We've been feeding them in our backyard for many years.  Glad you like them too! 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Respected Contributor

@dex

I'm sorry to hear that you don't like Doves.  They are probably my favorite bird, not because of their beauty, but I love the soft, gentle, coo.  They are such a gentle bird, monogamous and devoted parents.  I think that's why they are my favorite.  Their beauty definitely comes from within. 

My father used to own a very large farm and would bait fields for Doves.  He would have a large dove hunt for his friends during the season.  When my two girls were old enough to realize what was happening, they made signs that read "Dove Killer", put them on all the windshields of the hunters cars.  My father never had another dove hunt. Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy 

Honored Contributor

@Georgiagrama@ so doves have great family values....I really didn't  know anything about their habits so thanks for taking the time to write.

I love how your children saved the doves from the hunters...very sweet and caring girls...great family values also.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't mind the mourning doves at all and neither do the other birds that hand around my feeders..

Honored Contributor

Sometimes the cooing (I used to think it was an owl hooting) does get annoying.

But nothing compared to a sea gull----ugh!

Respected Contributor

@Azcowgirl

That sounds more like a pigeon than a dove.   

Honored Contributor

Mourning doves only eat flat-footed.....on the ground....they usually eat under the feeder what the squirrels spill on the ground when they raid my "squirrellproof" birdfeeder. I have one that shows up early every morning and rests on a large stone in my flower bed......she is joined by a few others later. I love to see them and hear them coo. 

Honored Contributor

We have Mourning Doves nesting somewhere on our property. I love their mournful cooing, I just think they are so sweet the way they kind of waddle around on the ground when they land.

Esteemed Contributor

lol........... I "coo- coo -ahhh"    right back to them. They love it and seem to understand.     Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

I love hearing them!