Honored Contributor

We have them in our area for the first time.I don't like the sounds they make.They get on my chimney and coo which echos early in the morning.I also encountered them for the first time vacationing in Canada this summer.I think they are migrating to new areas.

Honored Contributor

I love the cooing sound doves make. Pretty & soothing to me. We have a pair who nest in the hydrangea right outside my dining room window every year.

Frequent Contributor

Are they Mourning Doves or Ring Neck Turtle Doves?  We have the Ring Neck variety that showed up about 2 or 3 years ago and they do sound different - you can tell it's a dove but the call is different and not as smooth (IMO) as the Mourning Doves.  They used to be kept in cages and were pletiful in San Francisco but seem to be prolific and working their way up the coast.

Respected Contributor

They are considered a pest problem in my area, businesses especially, are constantly trying to prevent them from roosting on roof tops.....they cause a lot of damage. Restaurants that have outside tables have problems with them landing on and near tables.

Honored Contributor

We have mourning doves in my area, and I love to listen to them.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Soooooooooooo many years ago my DH  brought home 2 doves he caught down the yard where he kept his trucks!

I couldn't stand them being caged.  I love birds and have been feeding them for wayyyyy over25 yrs.

Anyway,I let them go free.I left the cage outside ,just in case they needed it.They never left but are free......

Now I have wayyyyy ,over 40 beautiful Doves here,many generations......... probably way over 40 ...lol  I love them very much and also the memory they bring to me of my DH bring them home to me <3

When it rains,they preform a beautiful Balet on my railings. they puff up ,and extend one wing at a time into the air over their head for a minute or 2  then change feet and wings to repeat the whole ballet  <3

I am sooooooo thankful for the gift of watching balet this time and time again <3

Honored Contributor

We have a lot of mourning doves in our yard.  They coo.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Valued Contributor

@dex wrote:

We have them in our area for the first time.I don't like the sounds they make.They get on my chimney and coo which echos early in the morning.I also encountered them for the first time vacationing in Canada this summer.I think they are migrating to new areas.

Do you mean pigeons (rock doves)? Or the smaller mourning or other wild doves that sit on wires and coo?

Honored Contributor

I am not sur what kind of doves but they coo loudly and love to do it early morning.they are grayish and slim.

Regular Contributor

Love my mourning doves!  Their coo is so soothing to me.  We have a couple pairs around the feeders.  They aren't as skittish as the other birds.  Sometimes when I refill the feeders they are underneath and I can get within a couple feet before they fly to a nearby tree.  Then they fly right back when I'm done.  Love to see them perched on my deck --they snuggle real close to each other --looks like love to me!