Trusted Contributor

Does anyone else not have a TV? All my friends think I am crazy!!

[ Edited ]

I haven't had a TV for most of my adult life. 

People who come into my house are always shocked that I don't have one.

While I like having more time to read and not get sucked into watching things I shouldn't, I do find sometimes there are certain things I "miss".  Every so often there will be a conversation with a group of friends or coworkers about a particular show that I am totally clueless about! 

I just got Netflx thinking that would be interesting to see some of these must-see shows that friends discuss.  So far I am not so sure I am keeping it!!

Does anyone else not have a TV and maybe fills similarly ambivalent about getting one?

Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone else not have a TV? All my friends think am crazy!!

We do have TVs but I would quickly give them up before I gave up my computer.  Can go for days without the TV but only hours without the internet!

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: Does anyone else not have a TV? All my friends think I am crazy!!

You're not the only one-----my brother threw out his tv more than 20+ years ago.  Says he doesn't miss it one bit. When I see all the stuff they are promoting on tv now I think he had the right idea all along!!!!!!!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have always said that when my kids (now in college) leave home, I will not replace TVs as they die. I have never watched a "reality" show and never will. That seems to be the majority of what is on TV. I would much rather read. Smiley Happy

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

@kaydee50  I would not be without the internet either . . .

and I have not had a TV for the past four years . . . @JasoninBoston

& I have not missed it one iota.  

Esteemed Contributor

I could do without TV but I would want access to the internet. You can watch a lot of shows online, anyway.

Honored Contributor

No tv here and loving it! Especially not paying high cable bills. 

Esteemed Contributor

I cannot picture my life without a TV ... I am not glued to the TV but, there are certain shows that I really enjoy in the evenings !!

Respected Contributor

Growing up in Germany, my father never allowed a TV in the house.  When he died, my sister immediately went and bought one for my mother.  She loved it.  Liked to watch all the nature shows, Columbo (she thought it was a German show), and different sports like tennis, the olympics.

I myself came here to the US when I was 25.  I got my first TV when I was about 30, but it pretty much lived in the closet.  Now that I am retired, I love it.  Watching the Olympics right now.  But don't watch reality shows and most other shows.

I think life is pretty good without a TV though.

Honored Contributor

@January121 wrote:

I cannot picture my life without a TV ... I am not glued to the TV but, there are certain shows that I really enjoy in the evenings !!

@January121Also the local news and weather.