Honored Contributor

Do You Color (Yes! Color) In Your 'Spare' Time?

I've just watched a CBS morning show about adults who color.  The program talks about the 'craze' of adults coloring.

I've seen this phenomenon going on for several years now.  I often take my grandchildren to Barnes & Knoble book store.  Some of the coloring books are on the best seller list!  Yes, you saw right.

What we used to do when we were children, has been adopted (and adapted) by adults who find it relaxing and maybe even rewarding.  I use the word adapted because some are so intricate that many people pick one up and ...well...put it back down because just one page coloring could take months (it's so intricate).

If done carefully and in a mindful way, they can be as (OK maybe, more) beautiful than some of Peter Max (the great artist of the 60's (and still relevant)).  Some find it addictive and interfering with their everyday life...the need to complete something.

I've done some pictures, but because I have the attention span of a fruit fly (don't know why I use that because they have a good attention span, they'll stay with that ****** banana forever, flying around).  Where was I?  Oh!  Attention span....yes!  I have very little, hence, I have pages and pages left partially 'colored'.

So, tell me.  Are there any out here in QVC forum land who have started or still do use coloring as a way of relaxing?  Come on confess up...this is anonymous anyway?

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Color (Yes! Color) In Your 'Spare' Time?

NO ,I don't. I did hear a story once, from a lady whose husband worked with handicapped adults. I can't recall what was wrong with this fellow, but he was constantly given thngs to color. When he finally was able to  speak, he said no more coloring

So, I guess like everything else it's not for everyone

Super Contributor

I asked for and received coloring design books, pencils and markers last year for Christmas. My intention was to do just that.  Color and relax.  Unfortunately, I live with my son's family, and my 4 year old twin granddaughters want to always join in, so this idea went up in smoke.  After they are in bed, Grandma  collapses in front of  the TV with her crochet. ( Wow, that last sentence  makes me sound  like an old geezer - guess I am)

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I got my first coloring book this year for my birthday.  I used it a lot during the winter months when it was too cold to be outside. I enjoyed using all the colors for the birds, flowers and trees when there was no color outside. 

I also found it helpful while waiting for appointments.  My husband had a lot of health issues this year and it was the perfect thing to take to the hospital/waiting rooms.  It kept my mind occupied.  It became a bit of a meditative experience.  I would become lost in the forest on the page.  Smiley Happy  

Trusted Contributor

I don't presently but am very interested in trying it.  HSN had a adult coloring set TSV sometime last spring that I really planned on picking up but it sold out before I got round to it.  I do find coloring very relaxing.  I vividly remember when I was 8 months pregnant with my 3rd child and my almost 6 year old had a friend over.  I was trying to keep them lowkey so as not to wake my 2 year old who was napping so I sat down and spent an hour and a half coloring with them.  I think the reasons I recall it so vividly is because it was so peacefully relaxing and I ended up going into premature labor by 5 weeks later that night.

They say it is a very positive and enjoyable hobby for adults and there is now so much to choose from that is geared to adults.  You have just reminded me to start looking for a good basic starter kit.  I really do think it will be good for me and an enjoyable way to destress.  Think I will start looking today as I need anything destressing I can find until 8 November has come and gone (and hopefully not after)

Thanks for posting about it!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@pegomyheart You sound old?  No way!  I'm old!  Ha!  But I will say (sorry) that I crochet (just long scarfs, no thought into it) because I have bad arthritis in my hands.  I was supposed to have had my thumbs operated on several  years ago, but I'm trying to (as a friend said) "Run out the clock".  Unfortunately, no one told my knees, they are tired of waiting so I'm having them replaced...this so I can walk...

I know how grandchildren love to 'help'.  I'm sure the rewards of living there are way beyond negatives but it does get a teeny tiny bit (hold on I'm thinking here for the right word)....OK, got it!  Challenging..it's a good word.  They are wonderful (mine are and I KNOW your's are), but it still takes patience.  I say that as I wish I could get on that trampoline my 4 year old grandson jumps and jumps on...(maybe my new knees will make it possible).  Aren't we lucky we live in a time when something wears out, we can just replace it?  Now who's going to invent 'body lipo'....pick me...pick me...

Honored Contributor

No, I'm not into adult coloring books.  I did try.  I bought a book and my colored pencils....and then...nothing..lol   It really was not fun or at all.  I laughed at myself, it felt like I was trying to be 7 again...lol   It might be something that would appeal to people in nursing homes or something.

Honored Contributor

I belong to a crafting club but I find when I am there I make too many mistakes  because we are all chatting and it's hard to concentrate so now I take my coloring books and colored pencils and color instead. Coloring doesn't require much in the way of concentration. I enjoy coloring. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yes. I love it.  I must have 15 books.

I should do more.  I need to get my hands off this keyboard. LOL  That's why I started, to be off the internet more. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

My 10 year old granddaughter was visiting this past summer. We went to a museum and the only thing she wanted from the gift shop was a coloring book. It looked complicated to me but she loved it.

One evening we sat together and colored. It was fun so I bought a book for me and another one for her to take back home with her. 

I color while I watch tv. It keeps me from eating ! 

Our library has a coloring get together once a month. I don't go to that, though.

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln