Honored Contributor

Re: Delimma: Texting, WHERE Did Ya Go???

@Anonymous032819 @1Snickers @RedTop @Sooner @chrystaltree Ladies, thank you so much for your kind help.  She'll either make a statement that I'll have to correct because of the current activities at work or ask a question.  After my first post here, I began texting "Where did You go?" and also "Are you there?". 

She is very, very kind and we were like bread and butter when she was here.  I'm surprised beyond words!

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG  It’s just texting, and surely she meant nothing by not responding. Happens to me also, people get busy and forget.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Moving 5 states away is not an issue with friendship.  However sometimes out of sight out of mind is but this seems not to be the case with you.

Do telephone her and have a conversation mouth to mouth. Doing so would make the friendship seem personal, especially with the now distance.

Texting is usually for small bits of exchanges not for long detailed events, which take longer to read and sometimes the individual receiving the text just doesn't have the time to respond as they would like.

It is easier to put people off during a text, although not intentional, it is just the thing that is done.

Telephone your friend and speak directly to her, and hear her emotional tone. This would give you a better understanding of how to change things around, or to just accept the fact she has moved.

Many years ago my best friend relocated 3 states away but it has never affected our relationship. We always keep in touch. Although the conversations are not everyday, even with texting, we speak on the phone. I value this friendship so much. I once mentioned to someone that a friend is a gift you give yourself.

Try, you have nothing to loose but everything to gain and hold onto.

Good luck.

Respected Contributor

my sister does this. but i do it her too. its just too time consuming for me - sometimes -  to txt long convo streams. a day or two ago i was making dinner and handling raw chicken and 3 people were texting at the same time over and over. well they just had to wait until way later in the evening.

Honored Contributor

I agree with those that say this is common and that texting is casual communication.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

It is the way texting works.  People can't or don't always answer right back.  If it upsets you, texting probably isn't a good medium for you.  

Exactly.  Texting is  intended to be a casual way to communicate.  

Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

my sister does this. but i do it her too. its just too time consuming for me - sometimes -  to txt long convo streams. a day or two ago i was making dinner and handling raw chicken and 3 people were texting at the same time over and over. well they just had to wait until way later in the evening.

@CatsyCline Thank you.  She knew I was free and it was an hour before dinner here which she knew (we had discussed it several times).  

This discussion was a continuation of a discussion from a week ago.   One or two sentences back and forth. 

Honored Contributor

Thank you to everyone for helping me understand.   She started the conversation and I was answering her questions. 

Honored Contributor

Texting can be as casual, or as intense as each of us need it to be.  

The friend of mine who does this, has been in my life 60 years.   We haven’t lived remotely close to each other for 50 years, and have NEVER talked on the phone; I have never visited her in any state she’s lived in.   We wrote letters, progressed to email, and now text, as I have no interest in participating in Facebook.  

This is just one of her many quirks that I accept and just move on.    I still haven’t answered her text from the other day......

Honored Contributor

I consider this its rude.  Of course I think texting for the most part is rude.  I am insulted when I am talking to someone face to face and they answer or begin texting.  Maybe Im just boring.

So my solution is I dont text unless I have to.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)