Esteemed Contributor

Daily Positive Thread for Wednesday

Hello my friends!  Well, today was another beautiful ordinary day for me!  Tomorrow I start working for Lori again as I do every year at this time to be available for gift certificates for Massages. I 'll be doing this thread later at night then, as we only get home later.  Have a blessed night and blessed Wednesday!

No one can live for himself alone for then he will have no purpose in life. 

To give of self is one of life's greatest joys and blesses us with a full and rich life. 

Lord, help me to be selfless and loving to those around me.

S C R I P T U R E   F O R   T H E   D A Y

"You show me the path of life. In your presence there is fullness of
joy; in your right hand are pleasures forevermore." ~Psalm 16:11

M E D I T A T I O N   F O R   T H E   D A Y 

The kingdom of heaven is within us. God can see, as no one can see, what
is within us. God can see us growing more and more like God. That is our
reason for existence, to grow more and more like God, to develop more
and more of the spirit of God within us. We can often see in others
those qualities and aspirations which we ourselves possess. So also can
God recognize God's own spirit in us. Our motives and aspirations can be
understood by those who have attained the same spiritual level as we
have.

P R A Y E R   F O R   T H E   D A Y 

I pray that I may not expect complete understanding from others. I pray
that I may only expect this from God, as I try to grow more like God.

Advent Day 17 - Be Patient Until the Lord Comes

There is a permanent Advent quality to the Christian life. We wait and watch and keep vigil. St. James speaks bluntly and clearly about this kind of waiting: “Be patient, brothers and sisters, until the coming of the Lord” (James 5:7). In one sense, Christianity is a religion of fulfillment, for the Lord has come. But in another sense, it is a religion of waiting, for we expect the second coming of Jesus in the fullness of his power.

And as James clearly suggests, this is difficult.

But what we all know is that great things take time. When a woman becomes pregnant, she has to wait nine long months before the baby is ready; when a gardener works, he waits and watches and cultivates; when an author writes a book, he has to let it come on its terms and in its own time. During any of these processes, the very worst thing you can do is pick at it, force it, or make it operate according to your private timetable. So we endure the harsh and the sweet processes that make growth possible. What James is urging us to do is to imagine our lives as processes of gestation—and not meaningless series of events. 

James knows, too, what typically happens when we are impatient: we attack those around us. “Do not complain, brothers and sisters, about one another, that you may not be judged” (James 5:9). Perhaps those around us who bother us and criticize us were sent to us by God.

The key, as always, is how we read what is happening to us. And what is happening is that the Lord is preparing his return.

We'll see

Once upon a time, there was a farmer in the central region of China. He didn't have a lot of money and, instead of a tractor, he used an old horse to plow his field.

One afternoon, while working in the field, the horse dropped dead. Everyone in the village said, "Oh, what a horrible thing to happen." The farmer said simply, "We'll see." He was so at peace and so calm, that everyone in the village got together and, admiring his attitude, gave him a new horse as a gift.

Everyone's reaction now was, "What a lucky man." And the farmer said, "We'll see."

A couple days later, the new horse jumped a fence and ran away. Everyone in the village shook their heads and said, "What a poor fellow!"

The farmer smiled and said, "We'll see."

Eventually, the horse found his way home, and everyone again said, "What a fortunate man."

The farmer said, "We'll see."

Later in the year, the farmer's young boy went out riding on the horse and fell and broke his leg. Everyone in the village said, "What a shame for the poor boy."

The farmer said, "We'll see."

Two days later, the army came into the village to draft new recruits. When they saw that the farmer's son had a broken leg, they decided not to recruit him.

Everyone said, "What a fortunate young man."

The farmer smiled again - and said "We'll see."

Moral of the story: There's no use in overreacting to the events and circumstances of our everyday lives. Many times what looks like a setback, may actually be a gift in disguise. And when our hearts are in the right place, all events and circumstances are gifts that we can learn valuable lessons from.

As Fra Giovanni once said:

"Everything we call a trial, a sorrow, or a duty, believe me... the gift is there and the wonder of an overshadowing presence."

author unknown

A True Christmas Poem

C    is for the Christ child lying in a manager. 
H    is for the Holy One who saved us all from danger. 
R    is to Remember Him who died that we may live. 
I     is to Inspire us that we may always give. 
S    is for joyful Songs and sacred hymns that praise. 
T    is to Thank the Lord for showing us the way. 
M   is for the Miracles that bless us each day. 
A    is for the Almighty who always puts us first. 
S    is for the Shepherd who guides us on earth.

Christmas 1st Corinthians 13 Style

If I decorate my house perfectly with plaid bows, strands of twinkling lights and shiny balls, but do not show love to my family, I'm just another decorator.

If I slave away in the kitchen, baking dozens of Christmas cookies, preparing gourmet meals and arranging a beautifully adorned table at mealtime, but do not show love to my family, I'm just another cook.

If I work at the soup kitchen, carol in the nursing home and give all that I have to charity, but do not show love to my family, it profits me nothing.

If I trim the spruce with shimmering angels and crocheted snowflakes, attend a myriad of holiday parties and sing in the choir's cantata but do not focus on Christ, I have missed the point.

Love stops the cooking to hug the child.

Love sets aside the decorating to kiss the husband.

Love is kind, though harried and tired. 

Love doesn't envy another's home that has coordinated Christmas china and table linens.

Love doesn't yell at the kids to get out of the way. 

Love doesn't give only to those who are able to give in return but rejoices in giving to those who can't. 

Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 

Love never fails. Video games will break, pearl necklaces will be lost, golf clubs will rust. But giving the gift of love will endure.

A Special "Birthday Cake" For Jesus 

Put in a cup of humility, 
A cup of love goes in too. 
Add a cup of caring and sharing, 
I'm making it just for you.

You're my Savior and redeemer 
So I'll add my heart as well, 
For dying on that cross for me 
And saving my soul from Hell. 

I'll put in lots of forgiveness 
For my fellow man, 
For many here on Earth 
Refuse God's perfect plan.

I'll add a cup of "glad" and "thankfuls" 
Because God has for me, 
A perfect place in His Kingdom 
To live for eternity. 

I'll add my cup of cheer as well, 
And a cup or two of faith, 
That my friends and family near to me, 
Will enter in that pearly gate.

I'll stir it all up in my soul, 
And offer it to my King. 
For myself is all I have to give, 
I haven't any other thing. 

I'll ice it all over with my prayers, 
To be a lamp so bright, 
So others may see in me 
God's perfect wondrous light. 
Happy Birthday Jesus!

~ Author Unknown ~

Trusted Contributor

Re: Daily Positive Thread for Wednesday

Good luck with the job Gloria.

I know you do it every year so I hope it's very succesful.

Remember I was telling you about the organ we have and it is broke and we haven't been able to get it repaired.

After purchasing a Yamaha keyboard last week and finding out it is way to complicated for "75" year old me. We sent it back. So I decided to stick with organ because that's what I know.

We decided to look into a used organ and we found one on Craigslist and the young man who was selling it was very closs to us, I would not buy anything on those lists if I could not see it and try it first, we went to see it last night and it is in great shape and sounds great not a scratch on it, that could be because he got it from a church so it was taken good care of, and believe me the price was great too. This fellow buys used organs and sells them. I really think the good Lord was watching out for us in this matter, I was praying very hard for something nice to come a long, and thank you all for your prayers too.

Blessings to all.

Harlene(lovestopaint)

Esteemed Contributor

Harlene I'm so happy for you!!  God answered your prayers for your new organ!  Praise Him Forever!! 

Thanks much for sharing this great blessing!!  Now you can play and play great music again! Play and sing His praises!!  Maybe now, Silent  Night and Christmas songs, right?  I'll be off to work for Lori shortly.  

Regular Contributor

Hi Gloria and all,  Just wanted to share a blessing.  Remember baby Dakota? Well she's going home this week. She's over 4 pounds, which to me still seems tiny, and they're letting her parents take her home. They were allowed to "sleep over" at the hospital with her in the room to see how it is taking care of her overnight.

There will be a visiting nurse checking on her, I don't know how often, at home too.

Please pray for these kids that their baby continues to do well.  They're a little worried about her eyes, possibly the retinas, but hopefully it's nothing serious.

She was born October 23, not due till Dec 28.  What a miracle!   Thanks marmot

Super Contributor

After reading your post, I wanted to tell you that I'm happy to hear baby Dakota is going home. What a wonderful blessing. 

My daughter, now my 32 year old daughter, was a small preemie too and also got to come home at 4 lbs. She was due in June but decided to make an early appearance in April. I compared her weight to a can of Crisco shortening. LOL. 

I will keep that little family in my prayers and that baby Dakota thrives, just as well as my baby did, so many years ago. 

Be still, and know.
Super Contributor

Good morning,

Gloria, you've been helping Lori for a few years now, I hope you sell a lot of gift certificates to bring more business. 

Harlene, I didn't know you played the organ. I took piano lessons years ago but had to stop because my work schedule changed. You sure are a talented lady. 

It's a beautiful day so far but rain is to move in tonight. I wish it would stay 75 year round. I'd be happy for that. 

Everyone have a great day. God bless. 

Be still, and know.
Trusted Contributor

Hi Marmot what a nice Christmas blessing for little Dakota to be going home.

She and her parents will be staying in my prayers.

Blessings

Harlene(lovestopaint

Regular Contributor

Thank you all for your continued prayers for Dakota. They are greatly appreciated! Marmot

Esteemed Contributor

Marmot -That's wonderful news indeed!!  Our nephew was a preemie too, weighed only 3 pounds, and he's a big man now!!  Glad he got to go home and thanks much for sharing!!

Esteemed Contributor

Lucy - it's the seventh year now that I'm working as a volunteer for Lori during Christmas time.  It's usually quiet there, but I'm available!