Esteemed Contributor

Daily Positive Thread for Thursday

Hello my friends!  Long day, but the blessings always is spending time with Lori!  This is the seventh year I'm doing this for her.  Last year I only was there one day and that was because we made the trip by car all the way to Texas to spend Christmas with Darla!  Never thinking it was our last trip there, and that this year she's here with us in our town!  And she's hosting Christmas Eve again!  I'm very tired, and tomorrow's another day!  Good night everyone and God bless you!!

There is a purpose for our trials and burdens just as there is  
a purpose for the joys and wonders in our lives. Lord, grant
me Your  peace as Your plan for me unfolds.

S C R I P T U R E   F O R   T H E   D A Y 

"'May they prosper who love you.  Peace be within your walls, and
security within your towers.'  For the sake of my relatives and
friends I will say, 'Peace be within you.'  For the sake of the house
of the
LORD our God, I will seek your good."  ~Psalm 122:6-9

M E D I T A T I O N   F O R   T H E   D A Y  

I believe that God's presence can bring peace and that peace, like a
quiet-flowing river, can cleanse all irritants away.  In these quiet
times, God can teach me how to rest my nerves.  I need not be afraid.
I can learn how to relax.  When I am relaxed, God's strength can flow
into me.  I can be at peace.

P R A Y E R   F O R   T H E   D A Y 

I pray for that peace which passes all understanding.  I pray for that
peace which the world can neither give nor take away.

Teachings of the Popes on Christmas

"The mystery of the Holy Night, 
which historically happened two 
thousand years ago, must be lived 
as a spiritual event in the 'today' of the Liturgy. The Word who 
found a dwelling in Mary's womb 
comes to knock on the heart of every person with singular 
intensity at Christmas."
Pope John Paul II

Mankind is a great, immense family... 
This is proved by what we feel in our hearts at Christmas.
Pope John XXIII

Joy is the true gift of Christmas, not the expensive gifts that 
call for time and money... Let us pray that this presence 
of the liberating joy of God shines forth 
in our lives. 
Pope Benedict XVI

Is Anyone Missing Baby Jesus?

About a week before Christmas, the family bought a new nativity set. When they unpacked it, they found two figures of the Baby Jesus. 

"Someone must have packed this wrong," the mother said, counting out the figures. 

"We have one Joseph, one Mary, three wise men, three shepherds, two lambs, a donkey, a cow, an angel and two babies. Oh, dear! I suppose some set down at the store is missing a Baby Jesus because we have two." 

"You two run back down to the store and tell the manager that we have an extra Jesus. Tell him to put a sign on the remaining boxes, saying that if a set is missing a Baby Jesus, call 7126." 

"Put on your warm coats. It is freezing out there." 

The manager of the store copied down mother's message and the next time they were in the store they saw the cardboard sign that read, "If you are missing Baby Jesus, call 7126." 

All week long they waited for someone to call. Surely, they thought someone was missing that important figurine. Each time the phone rang, mother would say, "I'll bet that's about Jesus.", but it never was. 

Father tried to explain there are thousands of these scattered over the country, and the figurine could be missing from a set in Florida or Texas or California. Those packing mistakes happen all the time. He suggested to just put the extra Jesus back in the box and forget about it. 

"Put Baby Jesus back in the box! What a terrible thing to do!" said the children. 

"Surely someone will call," mother said. "We'll just keep the two of them together in the manger until someone calls." 

When no call had come by 5:00 PM on Christmas Eve, mother insisted that father just run down to the store to see if there were any sets left. 

"You can see them right through the window, over on the counter," she said. "If they are all gone, I'll know someone is bound to call tonight." 

"Run down to the store?" father thundered. "It's 15 below zero out there!" 

"Oh, Daddy, we'll go with you," Tommy and Mary began to put on their coats. Father gave a long sigh and headed for the front closet. 

"I can't believe I'm doing this," he muttered. 

Tommy and Mary ran ahead as father reluctantly walked out in the cold. Mary got to the store first and pressed her nose up to the store window. 

"They're all gone, Daddy," she shouted. "Every set must be sold." 

"Hooray" Tommy said. "The mystery will now be solved tonight!" 

Father heard the news still a half block away and immediately turned on his heel and headed back home. 

When they got back into the house, they noticed that mother was gone and so was the extra Baby Jesus figurine. 

"Someone must have called and she went out to deliver the figurine," my father reasoned, pulling off his boots. 

"You kids get ready for bed while I wrap mother's present." 

Then the phone rang. Father yelled "answer the phone and tell 'em we found a home for Jesus." But it was mother calling with instructions for us to come to 205 Chestnut Street immediately, and bring three blankets, a box of cookies and some milk.. 

"Now what has she gotten us into?" my father groaned as we bundled up again. "205 Chestnut. Why that's across town. Wrap that milk up good in the blankets or it will turn to ice before we get there. Why can't we all just get on with Christmas? It's probably 20 below out there now. And the wind is picking up. Of all the crazy things to do on a night like this!" 

When they got to the house at 205 Chestnut Street, it was the darkest one on the block. Only one tiny light burned in the living room and, the moment we set foot on the porch steps, my mother opened the door and shouted, "They're here, Oh thank God, you got here, Ray! You kids take those blankets into the living room and wrap up the little ones on the couch. I'll take the milk and cookies." 

"Would you mind telling me what is going on, Ethel?" my father asked. 

"We have just walked through below zero weather with the wind in our faces all the way." 

"Never mind all that now," my mother interrupted. "There is no heat in this house and this young mother is so upset she doesn't know what to do. Her husband walked out on her and those poor little children will have a very bleak Christmas, so don't you complain. I told her you could fix that oil furnace in a jiffy." 

My mother strode off to the kitchen to warm the milk while my brother and I wrapped up the five little children who were huddled together on the couch. The children's mother explained to my father that her husband had run off, taking bedding, clothing, and almost every piece of furniture, but she had been doing all right until the furnace broke down. 

"I been din washin' and ironin' for people and cleanin' the five and dime," she said. "I saw your number every day there, on those boxes on the counter. When the furnace went out, that number kept going' through my mind... 7162... 7162." 

"Said on the box that if a person was missin' Jesus, they should call you. That's how I knew you were good Christian people, willin' to help folks. I figured that maybe you would help me, too. So I stopped at the grocery store tonight and I called your missus. I'm not missin' Jesus, mister, because I sure love the Lord. But I am missin' heat. I have no money to fix that furnace." 

"Okay, Okay" said father. "You've come to the right place. Now lets see. You've got a little oil burner over there in the dining room. Shouldn't be too hard to fix. Probably just a clogged flue. I'll look it over, see what it needs." 

Mother came into the living room carrying a plate of cookies and warm milk. As she set the cups down on the coffee table, I noticed the figure of Baby Jesus lying in the center of the table. It was the only sign of Christmas in the house. The children stared with wide eyed with wonder at the plate of cookies my mother sat before them. 

Father finally got the oil burner working but said "you need more oil." 

"I'll make a few calls tonight and get some oil." 

"Yes sir, you came to the right place," said the woman... 

On the way home, father did not complain about the cold weather and had barely set foot inside the door when he was on the phone. 

"Ed, hey, how are ya, Ed? Yes, Merry Christmas to you, too. Say, Ed, we have kind of an unusual situation here. I know you've got that pick-up truck. Do you still have some oil in that barrel on your truck?" 

"You do?" 

By this time the rest of the family were pulling clothes out of their closets and toys off of their shelves. It was long after their bedtime when they were wrapping gifts. The pickup came. On it were chairs, three lamps, blankets and gifts. Even though it was 30 below, Father let them ride along in the back of the truck. 

No one ever did call about the missing figure in the nativity set, but as I grow older I realize that it wasn't a packing mistake at all. Jesus saves, that's what He does.

If I Were a Christmas Tree

I'd
to be a
Christmas
tree with pres-
ents all around;
with golden ropes,
and silver
tinsel hanging
to the ground. I'd
trim my boughs with
crystal balls of red and blue
and white, and watch them glow
and catch the gleam of every Christmas
light. I'd wrap myself in
candy canes and popcorn balls,
and such. And, last, I'd have a shining
angel for my crowning touch! Then early
Christmas morn when little ones, with shouts
of joy, rush in to see and claim and treasure every
wondrous toy, I'd lean my boughs to brush up close and
touch each child like this, and place upon each shining cheek my
loving
Christmas
kiss!

Bonnie Compton Hanson

December 16 - Jesus Calling

I am speaking in the depths of your being. Be still, so that you can hear My voice. I speak in the language of Love; My words fill you with Life and Peace, Joy and hope. I desire to talk with all of My children, but many are too busy to listen. The “work ethic” has them tied up in knots. They submit wholeheartedly to this taskmaster, wondering why they feel so distant from Me.

Living close to Me requires making Me your First Love—your highest priority. As you seek My Presence above all else, you experience Peace and Joy in full measure. I also am blessed when you make Me first in your life. While you journey through life in My Presence, My Glory brightens the world around you.

The Sovereign Lord has given me an instructed tongue, to know the word that sustains the weary. He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen like one being taught.
—Isaiah 50:4

“Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken your first love.”
—Revelation 2:4

See, darkness covers the earth and thick darkness is over the peoples, but the Lord rises upon you and his glory appears over you.
—Isaiah 60:2

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Daily Positive Thread for Thursday

Letter from Joseph to his Mom

Dear Mom,

We're still in Bethlehem -- Mary and I and little Jesus.

There were lots of things I couldn't talk to you about last summer. You wouldn't have believed me then, but maybe I can tell you now. I hope you can understand.

You know, Mom, I've always loved Mary. You and dad used to tease me about her when she was still a girl. She and her brothers used to play on our street. Our families got together for supper. But the hardest day of my life came scarcely a year ago when I was twenty and she only fifteen. You remember that day, don't you?

The trouble started after we were betrothed and signed the marriage agreement at our engagement. That same spring Mary had left abruptly to visit her old cousin Elizabeth in Judea. She was gone three whole months. After she got back, people started wondering out loud if she were pregnant.

It was cloudy the day when I finally confronted her with the gossip. "Mary," I asked at last, "are you going to have a baby?"

Her clear brown eyes met mine. She nodded.

I didn't know what to say. "Who?" I finally stammered.

Mom, Mary and I had never acted improperly--even after we were betrothed.

Mary looked down. "Joseph," she said. "There's no way I can explain. You couldn't understand. But I want you to know I've never cared for anyone but you." She got up, gently took my hands in hers, kissed each of them as if it were the last time she would ever do that again, and then turned towards home. She must have been dying inside. I know I was.

The rest of the day I stumbled through my chores. It's a wonder I didn't hurt myself in the woodshop. At first I was angry and pounded out my frustrations on the doorframe I was making. My thoughts whirled so fast I could hardly keep my mind on my work. At last I decided just to end the marriage contract with a quiet divorce. I loved her too much to make a public scene.

I couldn't talk to you. Or anyone, for that matter. I went to bed early and tried to sleep. Her words came to me over and over. "I've never cared for anyone but you.... I've never cared for anyone but you...." How I wished I could believe her!

I don't know when I finally fell asleep. Mom, I had a dream from God. An angel of the Lord came to me. His words pulsated through my mind so intensely I can remember them as if it were yesterday.

"Joseph, son of David," he thundered, "do not fear to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit."

I couldn't believe my ears, Mom. This was the answer! The angel continued, "She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins."

The angel gripped my shoulders with his huge hands. For a long moment his gaze pierced deep within me. Just as he turned to go, I think I saw a smile on his shining face.

I sat bolt upright in bed. No sleep after that! I tossed about for a while, going over the words in my mind. Then I got up and dressed quietly so I wouldn't wake you.

I must have walked for miles beneath the moonless sky. Stars pricked the blackness like a thousand tiny pinpoints. A warm breeze blew on my face.

I sang to the Lord, Mom. Yes, me, singing, if you can imagine that. I couldn't contain my joy. I told Him that I would take Mary and care for her. I told Him I would watch over her--and the child--no matter what anyone said.

I got back just as the sun kissed the hilltops. I don't know if you still recall that morning, Mom. I can see it in my mind's eye as if it were yesterday. You were feeding the chickens, surprised to see me out. Remember?

"Sit down," I said to you. "I've got to tell you something." I took your arm and helped you find a seat on the big rock out back. "Mom," I said, "I'm going to bring Mary home as my wife. Can you help make a place for her things?"

You were silent a long time. "You do know what they're saying, don't you, son?" you said at last, your eyes glistening.

"Yes, Mom, I know."

Your voice started to rise. "If your father were still alive, he'd have some words, I'll tell you. Going about like that before you are married. Disgracing the family and all. You... you and Mary ought to be ashamed of yourselves!"

You'd never have believed me if I'd tried to explain, so I didn't. Unless the angel had spoken to you, you'd have laughed me to scorn.

"Mom, this is the right thing to do," I said.

And then I started talking to you as if I were the head of the house. "When she comes I don't want one word to her about it," I sputtered. "She's your daughter-in-law, you'll respect her. She'll need your help if she's to bear the neighbors' wagging tongues!"

I'm sorry, Mom. You didn't deserve that. You started to get up in a huff.

"Mom," I murmured, "I need you." You took my hand and got to your feet, but the fire was gone from your eyes.

"You can count on me, Joseph," you told me with a long hug. And you meant it. I never heard another word. No bride could hope for a better mother-in-law than you those next few months.

Mom, after I left you I went up the road to Mary's house and knocked. Her mother glared at me as she opened the door. Loudly, harshly she called into the house, "It's Joseph!" almost spitting out my name as she said it.

My little Mary came out cringing, as if she expected me give her the back of my hand, I suppose. Her eyes were red and puffy. I can just imagine what her parents had said.

We walked a few steps from the house. She looked so young and afraid. "Pack your things, Mary," I told her gently. "I'm taking you home to be my wife."

"Joseph!" She hugged me as tight as she could. Mom, I didn't realize she was so strong.

I told her what I'd been planning. "We'll go to Rabbi Ben- Ezer's house this week and have him perform the ceremony."

I know it was awfully sudden, Mom, but I figured the sooner we got married the better it would be for her, and me, and the baby.

"Mary, even if our friends don't come, at least you and I can pledge our love before God." I paused. "I think my Mom will be there. And maybe your friend Rebecca would come if her dad will let her. How about your parents?"

I could feel Mary's tiny frame shuddering as she sobbed quietly.

"Mary," I said. I could feel myself speaking more boldly. "No matter what anyone says about you, I'm proud you're going to be my wife. I'm going to take good care of you. I've promised God that."

She looked up.

I lowered my voice. "I had a dream last night, Mary. I saw an angel. I know."

The anguish which had gripped her face vanished. She was radiant as we turned away from the house and began to walk up the hill together.

Just then her mother ran out into the yard. "Wait," she called. She must have been listening from behind the door. Tears were streaming down her cheeks.

"I'll get your father," she called, almost giddy with emotion. "We," she cried as she gathered up her skirts. "We," she shouted as she began to run to find her husband. "We ... are going to have a wedding!"

That's how it was, Mom. Thanks for being there for us. I'll write again soon.

Love, Joseph

DIME STORE ANGEL 

It was just a Christmas Angel, that my Mom put on our tree. 
She bought it at a five and dime, when I was only three. 
Each year we'd trim our Christmas tree, with lights and ornaments. 
Then Mom would always tell me, what the Angel represents. 

The Angels came to tell the shepherds, of the Christ Child's birth. 
And, Angels are still here with us, to guide us here on earth. 
The Angel on our Christmas tree, was made in such a way. 
That if the light inside burned out, you just threw it away. 

The light burned out when I was twelve, the Angel would not shine. 
But, Mom would not throw it away, she said it looked just fine. 
She loved that little Angel, that she put upon our tree. 
She said it didn't need a light, for anyone to see. 

Then I grew up, and I moved out to start my family. 
And, I'd go home at Christmas time, to help her trim her tree. 
My wife and children went with me, to mom's house every year. 
The house was filled with love and joy, as we shared Christmas cheer. 

The kids would always say to her, "The Angel is burned out." 
Then, she would smile and tell them, what the Angel's all about. 
She told another reason, for it's specialty. 
Your daddy picked that Angel out, when he was only three. 

My mother passed away this year, early in the spring. 
And then I had the painful task, of going through her things. 
The beautiful old house she owned, was left me in her will. 
We moved back in the summertime, we feel her in it still. 

Early in December, we brought out our Christmas tree. 
I went up to the attic, just to see what I could see. 
I saw a cardboard box, with markings, "Ornaments and stuff." 
And in it was the little Angel, that she loved so much. 

I brought the cardboard box downstairs, and showed the family. 
Then they persuaded me to put the Angel on our tree. 
We trimmed the tree that weekend, and we talked of Christmas past. 
Then when the tree was finally done, the Angel went on last. 

Every night till Christmas, all the lights were burning bright. 
Except the little Angel, that had long burned out her light. 
Then on Christmas morning, I arose before the rest. 
I had to have my coffee, to be at my very best. 

I walked into the living room, my coffee cup in hand. 
Then what I saw, so puzzled me, I could not understand. 
I just stood in silence, as, my eyes filled up with tears. 
The little angel was all aglow, that had been dark for many years. 

Contributor

Gloriajean, thank you for reminding me that there is purpose in our trials and peace through God's strength.  I hope you get some rest from your busy days. 

Trusted Contributor

Yes get some rest Gloria.

Have a good Thursday.

Blessings  to all.

Harlene(lovestopaint