Esteemed Contributor

Daily Positive Thread for Monday

Hello my friends!  Well we got lots of snow here overnight, tomorrow night more to come!  Maybe my husband won't get to work tomorrow night if it's so dangerous to drive.  Good thing that Darla and Greg are in their house now and have their attached garage!  I sure would be concerned now if they were still in Arlington, TX!  Good she's having her twins here!  Lori's not feeling well, I made some chicken soup for her.

No one can live for himself alone for then he will have no purpose in life. 

To give of self is one of life's greatest joys and blesses us with a full and rich life. 

Lord, help me to be selfless and loving to those around me.

S C R I P T U R E   F O R   T H E   D A Y

"You show me the path of life. In your presence there is fullness of
joy; in your right hand are pleasures forevermore." ~Psalm 16:11

M E D I T A T I O N   F O R   T H E   D A Y 

The kingdom of heaven is within us. God can see, as no one can see, what
is within us. God can see us growing more and more like God. That is our
reason for existence, to grow more and more like God, to develop more
and more of the spirit of God within us. We can often see in others
those qualities and aspirations which we ourselves possess. So also can
God recognize God's own spirit in us. Our motives and aspirations can be
understood by those who have attained the same spiritual level as we
have.

P R A Y E R   F O R   T H E   D A Y 

I pray that I may not expect complete understanding from others. I pray
that I may only expect this from God, as I try to grow more like God.

The Toy

========

El and Josees, my 6 and 3-year-old boys, were wailing at the top of their lungs in the back of the van. Tears were streaming down their cheeks.

"What's wrong?" I asked, not knowing who had upset whom and preparing to try to figure out what would have stumped Sherlock.

"Josees won't give me the toy, and he's played with it already!" EL exclaimed loudly through tears while tugging at the small airplane clasped in Josees' Super Glue grip.

"I had it first!" Josees wailed.

It was not a simple solution. All parents have faced similar situations. Suddenly, I had a brilliant flash of insight. I said, "I will let whoever stops crying first play with the toy." I was smug in my wisdom. Here was a solution that would help them consider not crying when they didn't get their way and would allow me to administer some form of justice.  I had not counted on what happened next.  Before I spoke my basis for judgment, the van was a cacophony of sound, each trying to out cry the other.

"I will let whoever stops crying first play with the toy."

DEAD SILENCE

I mean not a peep. Instantly.....from them both. There was no basis for rendering judgment because each of them shut up instantly. Not a single whimper escaped. They were both quiet before my words could stop echoing. I was standing there with my mouth hanging open wondering how could two kids turn crying off so suddenly and completely.

How much whimpering, whining, complaining, crying, and bellyaching do we do that we can really cut off if we want to? Maybe we don't have the toy we want. Maybe someone else has what we want. So we cry. I learned a lesson from my sons. Often if we choose, we can stop the crying. Instantly.

A reflective Christmas prayer

Father God, When your precious Son became a tiny baby in a stable in Bethlehem in poverty and simplicity, you changed our world. As we imagine those surroundings, we join with the shepherds and the wise men in wonder and praise. We thank you for our material lives, praise you for our spiritual lives, and trust in you for our eternal life. Amen.

Someone Else’s Birthday

She gave birth to her firstborn, a son.  She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger.  Luke 2:7

After Christmas, a few years ago, I received an email from a family friend, a young mom who was commenting on her toddler’s take on Christmas. 

“I think my son will really look forward to Christmas next year - now that he gets it - on the kid level anyway. He knows it is Jesus' birthday and I think he's pretty impressed that on someone else's birthday - he gets all the gifts!” 

Short and sweet. Profound truth. The “kid level” is where I hope I’m at now this time of year has rolled around. For a lot of reasons, particularly because it’s Someone else’s birthday.

Happy birthday, Jesus!

December 27  - Jesus Calling

I am preparing you for what is on the road ahead, just around the bend. Take time to be still in My Presence so that I can strengthen you. The busier you become, the more you need this time apart with Me. So many people think that time spent with Me is a luxury they cannot afford. As a result, they live and work in their own strength—until that becomes depleted. Then they either cry out to Me for help or turn away in bitterness.

How much better it is to walk close to Me, depending on My strength and trusting Me in every situation. If you live in this way, you will do less but accomplish far more. Your unhurried pace of living will stand out in this rush-crazed age. Some people may deem you lazy, but many more will be blessed by your peacefulness.Walk in the Light with Me, and you will reflect Me to the watching world.

Since ancient times no one has heard, no ear has perceived, no eye has seen any God besides you, who acts on behalf of those who wait for him.
—Isaiah 64:4

“I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.”
—John 15:5

For with you is the fountain of life; in your light we see light.
—Psalm 36:9

Trusted Contributor

Re: Daily Positive Thread for Monday

Hope you don't get too much snow Gloria.

We are still getting very nice wear here.

Hope Lori feels better real soon.

Blessings to all.

Harlene(lovestopaint