Esteemed Contributor

Daily Positive Thread for Friday

Hello my friends!  Good news that we found out last night that Darla will be getting paid maternity leave for 4 months!  She's in a union.  Tomorrow she has her ultra sound.  Invited to Lori's for Easter - we'll have an Easter Egg hunt there!  Here's not a good place for one.  We were thinking that next year we'll have those little toddlers for Easter!!! How exciting.  Linda's coming over soon  now with her grandgirls, they want to play with Sammy.

Think good and wise thoughts over and over again until you make them
your own. Lord, You have given me a strong foundation and the strength
to stand firm for what I believe. 

S C R I P T U R E   F O R   T H E   D A Y  

"Like good stewards of the manifold grace of God, serve one another
with whatever gift each of you has received."  ~1 Peter 4:10

M E D I T A T I O N   F O R   T H E   D A Y 

We can try to be thankful for whatever vision we have.  We can try to
perform, in the little things, faithful service to God and others.  We
can do our small part every day in a spirit of service to God.  We can
be doers of God's word, not hearers only.  In our daily life we can
try to keep faith with God.  Every day can bring a new opportunity to
be of some use.  Even when we are tempted to rest or let things go or
to evade the issue, we can make it a habit to meet the issue squarely
as a challenge and not to hold back.

P R A Y E R   F O R   T H E   D A Y 

I pray that I may perform each task faithfully.  I pray that I may
meet each issue of life squarely and not hold back.

Lenten Reflection by Bishop Robert Barron

Lent Day 37
The Sower and the Seed
Jesus knew his audience understood images of cultivation and agriculture when he spoke the parable of the sower and the seed. The sower sows far and wide, some of the seed lands on the path where the birds eat it up; some falls on rocky ground where the life is choked off; some is sown among thorns, and some is sown on rich soil where it bears thirty, sixty, or a hundred fold.

Keep in mind that Jesus himself in person is the seed sown. Jesus is the logos that wants to take root in us. This seed is sown far and wide, through all sorts of means. It is destined for the whole world

But one thing that blocks its reception is lack of understanding, lack of education in the ways of the Spirit. The fundamentals have to be in place before the Word can be accepted. 

People can be fascinated by the spiritual and the religious, drawn in by a charismatic personality or an intense experience, or by trauma. But when they lack the discipline of a religious tradition, they become in time vaguely spiritual. Nothing in life that is taken seriously subsists without discipline and perseverance.

The Word of God is the central and defining dynamic of life. To know the will of God, to know the mind of God, to understand his purpose and path, is all-important. Without it, you lose your way amidst all of the conflicting voices and inclinations of the world.

When we understand the faith; when we take the time to read theology, to study the Scripture, to feel with the church; when we have perseverance; when we are disciplined and enter into the practice of the faith; when we have our priorities straight, then the seed will take root in us. And it will bear fruit thirty, sixty, or a hundredfold.

Verse of the Day

"Now to him who by the power at work within us is able to accomplish abundantly far more than all we can ask or imagine, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen."

Ephesians 3:20-21

A Prayer for Lent

God of times and seasons, you have brought us again to Lent for the study of Your Word, for the remembrance of the temptation of Your Son, and for the contemplation of His Cross. The birds know their seasons; forbid that we be blind to our times. Grant us a Lenten blessing, and may no one miss this time of growth. We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen

The Ten Most Wanted Men

The man who puts God's business above any other business.
The man who brings his children to church rather than sending them.
The man who is willing to be the right example to every boy he meets.
The man who thinks more of his Sunday school class than his Sunday sleep.
The man who measures his giving by what he has left, rather than by the amount he gives.
The man who goes to church for Christ's sake rather than for himself or for someone else.
The man who has a willing mind rather than a brilliant mind.
The man who has a passion to help rather than a passion to be helped.
The man who can see his own faults before he sees the faults of others.
The man who is more concerned about winning others for Christ than he is about winning worldly honor.

ANGEL TALK

Just inside the Pearly Gates
Underneath a gorgeous sky
Two angels hovered near a cloud
(They don't sit like you and I!)

"I just don't understand it,"
Said angel number one,
"I've watched and studied everything
Those foolish souls have done."

The second angel gave a shrug,
"Why do you even care?
It's no concern of ours at all
What they choose to do down there."

"Maybe not," the first one said,
"But still I'd like to know
With all the blessings they've received
What makes them quarrel so?"

The second angel stretched his wings
Then smoothed a ruffled feather,
"It's just about a hopeless cause
For men to live together."

"The Master's working very hard
Has been for generations.....
And still they fight among themselves
causing death and devastation."

The older angel softly sighed,
"You can't change things, little one,
The Master's tried everything
He even sacrificed His Son!!"

The young angel nodded slowly,
"That's what seems so bad!
He suffered, bled and died for them!
He gave them all he had!"

"Oh, He still has more to give,"
The other looked both sad and wise,
"For I've seen Jesus when souls are lost,
And I've held Him while He cries."

"For to Him each one is precious
With a value beyond measure.....
He wants them all up here with Him
To share in Heaven's treasure."

"And sometimes, someone down on Earth
Will kneel in fervent prayer
Crying out, 'Please help me, God!
Show me that You're there!'"

"And when that happens you will hear
All the bells of Heaven ring!
As the Master's love pours down like rain
And the Heart of Jesus sings!"

-- Author Unknown

St. Patrick - Feast Day

Almighty God, Saint Patrick served You in Ireland because he had been kidnapped and shipped there as a slave. You brought endless good out of the evil committed against him, so I ask Saint Patrick to pray for the Irish people-those born in Ireland and those of Irish descent, and to pray for unity between Protestants and Catholics. Lord, bring an end to the division and fighting. Turn hatred into love, war into peace, and prejudices into mutual understanding. Teach us to conquer the real Enemy, the spirits of evil. Help us to rely on the victory of the Cross for reconciliation between peoples. Saint Patrick, pray for us. Amen.

Prayer for the Grace of the Passion
O Lord, for the redemption of the world, you willed to be born among human beings, subjected to the rite of circumcision, rejected by the people, betrayed by Judas with a kiss, bound with cords, led like an innocent lamb to slaughter, shamelessly exposed to the gaze of Annas as well as Caiaphas, Pilate, and Herod, accused by false witnesses, tormented by scourges and insults, spat upon and crowned with thorns, struck with blows of hand and reed, blindfolded and stripped of your garments, affixed to the wood and lifted high on the Cross, numbered among thieves, given gall and vinegar to drink, and pierced by a lance. 

Lord, by these most holy sufferings which we, your unworthy servants, devoutly call to mind, and by your holy Cross and death, deliver us from the pains of hell, and be pleased to take us where you took the penitent thief who was crucified with you. You live and reign with the Father and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever. Amen.

March 17 - Jesus Calling

Come to me for understanding, since I know you far better than you know yourself. I comprehend you in all your complexity; no detail of your life is hidden from Me. I view you through eyes of grace, so don’t be afraid of My intimate awareness. Allow the Light of My healing Presence to shine into the deepest recesses of your being—cleansing, healing, refreshing, and renewing you. Trust Me enough to accept the full forgiveness that I offer you continually. This great gift, which cost Me My Life, is yours for all eternity. Forgiveness is at the very core of My abiding Presence. I will never leave you or forsake you.

When no one else seems to understand you, simply draw closer to Me. Rejoice in the One who understands you completely and loves you perfectly. As I fill you with My Love, you become a reservoir of love, overflowing into the lives of other people.

O Lord, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O Lord.
—Psalm 139:1–4

Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us, set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.
—2 Corinthians 1:21–22

No one will be able to stand up against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you.
—Joshua 1:5

Trusted Contributor

Re: Daily Positive Thread for Friday

Hello Gloria,  It looks like Spring is here.  We cannot complain about the winter.  It was a mild one.

Blessings to all.