Honored Contributor

@TX-starlight.....so I did not take over the other thread I read you were crafting!! What are you working on?

I do some crafting as well...right now I am making button flowers with all my old buttons.  I did have to purchase some new ones to add in with my stash.  Next project is making a Christmas tree design from old jewerly.....that will not be easy!

Frequent Contributor

I've seen some of those Christmas trees made up. They are beautiful. Most people collect the jewelry at flea markets (swap meets) or yardsales.  

I do crafts too. Right now I'm knitting elves for my great-nephews and my boyfriends 3 grandchildren. I was making chemo hats for the cancer center in our capital city. I paint samtas and snowmen too. I'm retired, so I like to stay busy. I give almost everything I make away as gifts or donate them to various charities.

Honored Contributor

@WVRhyter....sounds like you are making some nice things!  My mom and grandma were both knitters and also did some crocheting.....sadly I cannot do either, wish I could.  Mom tried to teach me but to no avail.  Those that receive your items are lucky!

I wish I had a local friend that had my same interests...when I need advice or a third eye to look at something, I have to ask my husband.  No one I know is interested in the same thing I am or even care, ha!

Frequent Contributor

My fiancee is a good listener. I ask him about different ideas I have for my painting or knitting projects. It does make a difference to have someone to talk to. I lived alone for 12 years when my husband got sick and passed away. I was working then, so I was out around people every day, but really no one to talk to about things. I wrote a lot back then. It helped me to think through various problems I faced.``

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@WVRhyter....sounds like you are making some nice things!  My mom and grandma were both knitters and also did some crocheting.....sadly I cannot do either, wish I could.  Mom tried to teach me but to no avail.  Those that receive your items are lucky!

I wish I had a local friend that had my same interests...when I need advice or a third eye to look at something, I have to ask my husband.  No one I know is interested in the same thing I am or even care, ha!

@Mom2Dogs @WVRhyter  I get it. Being an artist or crafter is sometimes “lonely” and isolating. My studio’s in my house. When I made jewelry or painted every day, I would sometimes talk to no one for a week or two except my dh. I didn’t have anyone to share ideas with either. I finally joined a local art center that had adult classes and took a beginning class just to have the chance to be around others w/ similar interests. We’d meet for coffee afterwards, bring what we were working on from home and chat w/ each other about ideas. This time was invaluable to me. Not only did it keep the creativity flowing, but eased some of the isolation. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus years ago I belonged to a quilting group, it was fun until it became really competitive...and the pressure became ridiculous, especially after they started doing gift exchanges....that's when I dropped out....it was no longer fun getting to gether with them.  

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs Hey there! I'm painting in acrylics. I used to paint all the time, cut out my own wood pieces. I sold me scroll saw a couple of yrs ago. Last week, I bought several unfinished cabinet doors. I'm enjoying painting again, after several years of not doing much of anything crafty. I am currently painting snowmen, for some reason, lol. I also plan on sewing some snowmen later. I wish I knew how to post pics on here, I have done several, but needing a few "last touches" adding some dimention. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Crafting....

[ Edited ]

@TX-starlight

posting a pic is easy from a laptop or are you using a mobile device.

when I tried using a mobile - all the forums are wonky for me

I can walk you trhough step by step if you like - no problem

Unknown.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Re: Crafting....

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs

I knew the knit and purl stitch and that's it

I tried making a sweather as my first project and my very crafty sister helped me correct the mistakes Of course, I bought fancy fuzzy yarn and while the sweater turned out fine since my ssiter fixed all the bumps. I basically just knit and purl the sweater. She fixed the holes and seamed the sleeves - made neckline etc. I wore it only a few times since the fancy fuzzy yarn made it too itchy.

Fast forward 30 years. I pased a knitting activity at a park during the summer. They passed out yarn and needles and I happily just knit and purl.  My friend that was with me is into crochet and I started to think.....hmm.. should I try again.

Thanks to the internet - I did a lot of fast reasearch and lots of youtube watching. Happily I have knitted an infinity scarf, 2 dog sweaters and some gloves. It hwlps to watch - pause - rewind - watch - pause and rewind again. All the terminaology is out there on youtube. SSK, M! - and lots of free patterns 

So I encourage anyone who could never learn as I couldn't learn before - youtube is your friend. Looking at illustrations or a friend / sister teaching isn't the same. People get frustrated - but youtube lives forever ..and don't judge.

Honored Contributor

@Yahooey, I can remember sitting beside my mom my hands up and yarn wrapped around my wrists or hands...helping mom do 'something' with the yarn...maybe she was making it into a ball, I cannot remember....aww, makes me think of her.

Oh and she made me a 2 piece bathing suit (crochet) when I was a young teen...oh my....could not wear that in the water!!