Honored Contributor

Re: Con Man ... does anyone have one in their family?

My brother's second wife.  She bilked my mother with Altzheimer's and me for years.  No one believed me and the family structure was destroyed.  My only cosolation is I'm sure she is doing it now to these non-believers. 

Respected Contributor

@CareBears  You did the right thing.  Sometimes, as much as we want the relationship to be a loving one, it can't be and the best thing to do it to remove the toxic drain out of your life. 

Enjoy your life, and try to always do the right things, and that's all you can do.  Yesterday I heard that you can't control what happens, you can only control how you react to it.

Be strong - you've tried, and that's all you can ever do.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

This sums it all up perfectly:

these mountains you are carrying you were only supposed to climb.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Don't break a bids wings and tell it to fly.png

Honored Contributor

No con men, but I have a cousin and an aunt who are major manipulators. I love both women, but after all these years, I know what I'm dealing with and don't let them affect me.

Contributor

I had a cousin who is now deceased that was my tormenter.  I called him the green eyed devil..  He always told me that my parents didn't want me.  I spent a lot of time living with my grandparents and I really believed they did not want me.  His tautings were so bad that it caused a major rift between me and my mother which we never got over.  She is deceased also.  I remember when I took my dear sweet husband to meet this branch of the family I told him not to believe a single word this cousin was saying.  99% of it is a lie.  This cousin had the ability to suck people into his world and people would be in awe of him.  He would parade his girlfriends in front of his wife and kids but people still surrounded him and did whatever he wanted.  I was one of the few people who challenged him so I got the brunt of his anger.  I believe that there are just some pure evil people in this world.  It can't be blamed on mental illness, just evil.  Hate to say this but since he has been gone, there has been peace in the family.

Valued Contributor

I dated one.

my DH passed away suddenly and I was devestated.  I waited a year, then went on to a dating site.  I had no idea men like him really existed except on Lifetime Movies.  The first time I introduced him to my family, my nephew and brother in law ( in law enforcement) told me to stay away from him that he was a con artist.  I poo pood their opinion.

i wish I would have listened.  Fortunately, I came away unscathed.  

Respected Contributor

I had a cousin who would fit that description beginning in high school.   

He went from con man to jail bird more than once.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

My definition of a Con Man.    They think you are so stupid that you fell off  a turnip truck and will believe anything they tell you.   Well one thing I know they are SO CROOKED that when they die  they will have to screw them in the ground! 

Esteemed Contributor

Interesting question. Ouch. Yes, we've had a few people in our family we've had to step back from.

Foster son (FS) from 8th - 12th grades. We thought he was on the right track. Decent kid. Worked part time while in high school. Football Team. Good grades. Proud of him. His mom got out of prison summer after he graduated. Fifteen years difference in their ages. FS reunited with his mom at age 19. His uncle died in drug deal gone wrong. His younger brother died in alcohol-related car accident, and FS chose to go off the rails. Went to federal prison from ages 23-33. Husband put up money to help with legal fees so he could get decent representation. FS was just released from prison a few months ago and is living with his mom. I just can't connect again. He calls my grown kids, but they've moved on with careers and families.

Older brother lived two thousand miles away since college graduation. Financially took advantage of dad with his gambling problem. Dad died. Money stopped flowing his way. We sisters wouldn't send him money and he resented us and our 'good lives.' Brother died of anneurism at age 62. Divorced, no kids. His girlfriend didn't have money to arrange funeral. Sis and I wouldn't pay for it. He stopped talking to us a decade earlier because we wouldn't send him money. So sad. He was a track star in high school and social studies teacher by career. Lieutenant in Air Force. Craziest thing.      

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau