Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew   A friend of mine used RUSTAID on her concrete that had rust stains.  You might give it a try.

Honored Contributor

Re: Cement cleaning

[ Edited ]

Use Muriatic Acid. Mix 1 part water with 10 parts muriatic acid. You can Google cleaning concrete with muriatic acid to find more info.

DH has used it but not sure how much he used.

Don't Breathe it in. It's potent so you might want someone else to mix it for you. 

Some use it to increase the pH in swimming pools.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use a product called 30 Seconds Outdoor Cleaner. I get the version that's in a container you attach to a hose. It's not supposed to harm plants and such if you follow the directions. It smells sort of bleach like and will take the color out of your clothes if you get splatters on them so it might actually have bleach in it. I never bothered reading all the fine print, just know it works for me. I have an old pair of pants and a shirt I always wear for jobs like this.

It can be found at Home Depot. Have bought it there but actually have a 3 pack due for delivery here Friday ordered from Amazon. My major use for it is vinyl fencing but have used it successfully on a concrete walkway. Only drawback, a 64 oz container doesn't go too too far. 

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I want to clean the sidewalk in the back yard.  We do have a power washer but I am not a fan of using it.  

I'd like a product that wil clean the cement with a little elbow grease, scrub brush and water.

I see ZEP makes a product for that purpose, but I would have to order it, no one has it in stock.  Just thought I'd see if anyone had any luck with another product.

thanks

Last year my Son bought a scrubber, looks like a floor cleaner (rhomba} that fits on a power washer. I think he bought it at Lowes. It did a fantastic job, in no time at all. All his neighbors borrowed it. It was I think around $60.00, but can be used many times over. We were so impressed., how fast and easy it was.

Trusted Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

Use Muriatic Acid. Mix 1 part water with 10 parts muriatic acid. You can Google cleaning concrete with muriatic acid to find more info.

DH has used it but not sure how much he used.

Don't Breathe it in. It's potent so you might want someone else to mix it for you. 

Some use it to increase the pH in swimming pools.

The correct ratio of acid to water is:  1 part acid to 10 parts water!

Muriatic acid is related to hydrochloric acid and should be handled with extreme caution and protection (gloves, goggles, and respirator).

Always add acid to water, never add water to acid.  Adding water to acid will generate a vigorous exothermic reaction generating heat and possibly boiling the liquid, splashing you with acid.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs @Kachina624 @@@I used Clorox on one of my back patios. Mostly full strength. The first couple of times it worked great but it eventually caused permanent discoloration of the cement. I'd avoid it if I were you. 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D   Oh boy...I wonder if it's diluted that would keep the concrete from discoloring?  I'd be sick if that happened>

I have a large area under the pergola as well as a sidewalk in front of the porch and another large area for the grill and table.