Respected Contributor

Can Someone Answer My Question, Please.

I need to know if I'm over reacting to something.  I believe it's 100% wrong to ask a co-worker to give you a DVD player because you either think or know they have some old ones kicking around in  their basement.  The person I'm thinking of CAN pay for one themselves but even if they couldn't, to me it's still wrong.

I was told that I'm over reacting and being petty.  I think it's being a conniver.  If it's your mother or a close relative, maybe but not a co-worker.  I feel this is wrong.

Can anyone, please post input.  I Googled this but it just doesn't get what I'm asking.

I'd really appreciate it.  Thank you.

Honored Contributor

Re: Can Someone Answer My Question, Please.

If the person knew you had the players, they could have asked if they could buy one from you. Then you could either accept or say that you were keeping them. In my opinion you don't ask, you wait to be offered. JMO.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, it was an inappropriate response. It was also inappropriate for someone to tell you that you are petty and over reacting.  Given that it happened, I wouldn't spend anymore time thinking about it.  Life is too precious to spend our time on inappropriate comments/behavior.  If you want to release the dvd player you could reply, "I might consider selling it....are you interested in purchasing"? and move on.

Honored Contributor

Takes all kinds, just say no.

Why is it necessary for you to make a judgment on the person asking?

You either give them one, sell it to them or just say no.

if they bad-mouth you in the office to others, report it to your supervisor.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree with you 100%.  I know some people like this. IMO, it's wrong to ask someone to give you something for free when they can afford to either pay for it or buy a new one. Why should anyone be expected to give something for free when that person had to pay for it?

I agree this person is a conniver and I would add a people user. These people usually do well for themselves since they know how to take advantage of others. Your co-workers are naive. If they don't think it's a big deal, why don't they give this person their property for free.

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Without knowing the context in which the request came up and the way it was asked... it's impossible to say... Under some circumstances, it might seem like a ballsy, but not utterly unreasonable thing to ask, under other circumstances, it would be completely obnoxious. Either way, it's up to the person being asked to say 'yea, sure why not', 'go jump in a lake' or 'sorry, they're promised to close family and firends', but either way, to me, it's not something to dwell on...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

For a lot of people I think the old saying " you won't know if you don't ask" comes in to play. Some people just feel like it is alright to ask for anything they want because the worse thing that can happen is someone will say no. Most of the time though they get what they want because they did ask. I would not even give it a second thought. If I didnt' want to give it to them I would just say "Yes I do have one but I am not getting rid of it." Then just move on and let them find one somewhere else.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

If someone asked me about something I owned I would either say:  No I'm keeping it (if I wanted to keep it) or How much will you give me for it (if I was thinking of getting rid of it). 

There's no harm in someone asking for something.  Just say No.

Honored Contributor

More information is needed. Does this co-worker have reason to expect you to give them the DVD player? Have they given you something in the past, done favors for you, lent you their car, lawn mower...?

Honored Contributor

All water under the bridge now, but the person should have said they’re “interested in purchasing a DVD player, do you happen to have a used one or know someone who does?” At that point, it’s a yes, I have one to sell or a no. Simple, no conflict. 

As it stands, the conversation is over. I’d let it go and not make an issue. 

****Do most people keep a supply of used electronics? Why would she even think of asking you?