Respected Contributor

Calling @Sooner

[ Edited ]

@Sooner I wanted to answer you but thought it better to take it out of the Michigan thread. I don't feel younger than you -- I graduated high school in '65. And thanks to my high school typing teacher who threw me out of class permanently after 3 days, I never learned to type. Maybe she did me a favor.

With dark frizzy hair and glasses, I was never hired for my looks.  Female co-workers didn't view me as competition.  But I never developed a sense of workplace inferiority because I did my job well, and bosses like that, too. Less work for them.

Once when I was a department manager, I hired a stunning blue-eyed blonde who had a great resume and great skills. And she interviewed well.  My fellow managers, male and female, thought I was nuts. "She'll have your job in three months!" they said. Never happened. She made my worklife much easier.

Tall men get an edge; so do pretty women. But when it comes time for promotions and raises, other things count more. 

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 I'll just say in my world, looks gets ahead really often.  Looks and buddies!  I don't think talent or hard work is always a big factor. 

But I've enjoyed discussing with you!  Thanks!  Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

I always found internal politics and luck (being at right place at right time) had a lot to do with it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment