Super Contributor

Medicare Advantage Commercials

Has anybody ever wondered how many Millions or even Billions of Dollars these insurance companies waste on advertising while refusing to pay Medical Claims? 

Honored Contributor

Re: Medicare Advantage Commercials

Yes, there's a lot of money to be made in the medical industry.  Insurers want their share.  Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

@TW wrote:

Has anybody ever wondered how many Millions or even Billions of Dollars these insurance companies waste on advertising while refusing to pay Medical Claims? 

Definitely! We have United Healthcare and don't like it! The commercials are a bit phony. 

Regular Contributor

Advantage or supplement plan?  How do you choose?????

Honored Contributor

Insurance companies can't refuse to pay medical claims.

When you buy health insurance, that is a contract.  By law, insurance companies must pay claims for covered services and in addition, they are not  allowed to pay for services that are excluded from the contract.

If services are denied for covered services, it is normally because the claim had an error on it.  Claims are processed by a computer.  

If the provider puts an incorrect Date of birth, gender, diagnosis or procedure code, the claim will deny.  Once the error is found and corrected, the claim will be paid.

I don't know why these crazy rumors are still out there, but they really are not true.  The insurance commissioner would be on the company and their fines would put them out of business.  In addition, they would be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Insurance companies can't refuse to pay medical claims.

When you buy health insurance, that is a contract.  By law, insurance companies must pay claims for covered services and in addition, they are not  allowed to pay for services that are excluded from the contract.

If services are denied for covered services, it is normally because the claim had an error on it.  Claims are processed by a computer.  

If the provider puts an incorrect Date of birth, gender, diagnosis or procedure code, the claim will deny.  Once the error is found and corrected, the claim will be paid.

I don't know why these crazy rumors are still out there, but they really are not true.  The insurance commissioner would be on the company and their fines would put them out of business.  In addition, they would be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

@Carmie   @TW 

Sometimes people try to get services not covered under their policies, but that's usually cleared up by the Service Provider, who knows they won't get paid.  I guess it's possible people sign up for policies and don't fully understand them, but that's hardly fraud on the insurers' part.

Respected Contributor

Not only the commercials, but all that postage for the junk they send almost daily.........

Valued Contributor

The never ending phone calls and junk mail are making me crazy. I'll be happy when the enrollment period is over.

Regular Contributor

I am tired of seeing "Martha" in the Medicare ads. I turn the channel until it's over.

Esteemed Contributor

I have an agent. Finally we have something in my area besides UHC.  I switched to Humana yesterday.