Honored Contributor

These fires are horrific.  In 2003 and 2007, San Diego had fires that went from the back country (east) all the way to the coast (07) wiping out blocks of homes, surrounding us on three sides and we had to evacuate. 

We did nothing but watch where that fire was, not sleeping that night.  It was to our rear (east), barreling west on one side of us and barreling west on the other side of us....  It was at that time we got out of there.  No one told us to, but we could see it surrounding us and we wasted no time.  

The fire in 03 was just as serious but went south of us.  We were ready to evacuate but didn't have to.  It also took out neighborhoods of homes.  

No one can believe how FAST these fires are.  Ours was so fast that the firemen could not get in front of it.... 

We did not live in the back country, we lived in the suburbs of San Diego.  It's something so frightening and horrific, we never want to experience anything like that again. 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

It's rather unusual for these fires to have so many fatalities. Are people refusing to evacuate or what?

-------------

I don't think evacuation is straightforward. It seems like sparks are being blown all over the place and you don't know where they're going to land. You might evacuate to someplace that is going to catch on fire. It sounds terrifying. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

It's rather unusual for these fires to have so many fatalities. Are people refusing to evacuate or what?

Perhaps they are.  I heard the strangest interview on the radio.  It was a woman who lost her home in the fire.  What was crazy was that she said she and her husband could see a wall of fire in the distance and they were terrfied.  And then embers stared falling and the smoke got thick and made breathing difficult so they loaded up both cars with whatever a few things and some family jewelry and their dogs and left.  They didn't leave earlier, even as the saw the fire because they didn't get a robo call telling them to evacuate.  No one came and told them they should leave.   There was a raging fire and they were waiting to be told to leave!  I couldn't believe what I heard, I would have thought I missed something but my friend was in the car.   The waited to be told to leave when they could see the fire approaching.  It's mind boggling.  I can't even wrap my head around it.  Perhaps that's what many people out their do, they wait to be told to evacuate or the hope that the fire will just suddently stop.  

Esteemed Contributor

I saw thirty eight pictures on my cell phone last night of the devastation, horrific.  Whole neighborhoods totally destroyed.  Some home owners were going through the ash attempting to salvage anything that was left of their lives.  I actually cried and cannot imagine how I would react if it were me.  Just thinking about losing every piece and part of your life is just too overwhelming.  God bless all the victims of the fires and keep everyone safe and continue to bestow strength on the wonderful firefighters whose lives are in danger as they continue to fight the fires. Heart

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Perhaps they are.  I heard the strangest interview on the radio.  It was a woman who lost her home in the fire.  What was crazy was that she said she and her husband could see a wall of fire in the distance and they were terrfied.  And then embers stared falling and the smoke got thick and made breathing difficult so they loaded up both cars with whatever a few things and some family jewelry and their dogs and left.  They didn't leave earlier, even as the saw the fire because they didn't get a robo call telling them to evacuate.  No one came and told them they should leave.   There was a raging fire and they were waiting to be told to leave!  I couldn't believe what I heard, I would have thought I missed something but my friend was in the car.   The waited to be told to leave when they could see the fire approaching.  It's mind boggling.  I can't even wrap my head around it.  Perhaps that's what many people out their do, they wait to be told to evacuate or the hope that the fire will just suddently stop.  

@chrystaltree, I agree and I don't understand either.  You can watch the fire get closer, maybe a mile or two away (or starting to surround you) but what I don't think people understand is 1) how incredibly fast fires are, and 2) the traveling embers are flying and travel a long way and suddenly, your roof/patio/palm tree is suddenly blazing yet the actual wall of fire isn't there yet ....

No one should ever wait for a robo call...... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@tansy

I agree.  Every time I check in on any of the cable news stations they are all talking about Harvey Weinstein instead of the fires.  There were much more interested in the hurricanes.  There is a quick segment on the local news but if I miss that I am out of luck. 

Honored Contributor

I only see brief mentions of the fire on my news station.I think California is being forgotten as there have been too many disaster events lately and nothing is tidied up yet.

Esteemed Contributor

In COMMUNITY CHAT, I HAVE BEEN GIVING UPDATES.  THERE IS A BIG SECTION ON NAPE FIRES AND EVACUATIONS.

I live very close to SR and have family who lost their business and family who were in the danger zones, and friends that lost their homes. 

most of us in town here are packed and ready to go.  I have friends from Washington, Oregon and even New Mexico who have contacted me, so it is being broadcasted all over.

We are better today and some containment on the 22 fires.  What started out in one town, because of the winds and not enough help at the time, spread very rapidly over the hill to Santa Rosa. My son in law lost his business and his brother and family lost their homes and some business. 

Channel 2 here, and FM100.1 is updating all the time. 

The rumor that illegals are being checked when they go to shelters is not true. Everyone is welcome whoever they are.  My Grand daughter in law is from Brazil and works as an accountent at a winery, that has damage, but not completely burned down.

My one son is an Inspector for the city of SR, road paving and now that he has the internet, phone, electricity, and gas as of yesterday, he is calling me and giving what he knows.

Lots of eldery in SR because its a big city now, but lots came up years ago.  I am elderly and was 39 when I moved here, am not 81.  We all get there and it seems fast. Enjoy each day to the best of your ability.  Try to stay positive and let the small stuff go, not worth it and you don't remember it.

LOOK ON COMMUNITY FOR MORE INFORMATION FROM THE LAST COUPLE OF DAYS AND WHAT OTHER PEOPLE ARE SAYING.