Honored Contributor

COMPUTER UPDATES

[ Edited ]

Oh Geez, after weeks of my message for updating popping up and my hitting the "not now" option, I gave in over the weekend.

I don't get the changes that were SO urgent. My emojis sem different, my screen saver was lost, my opening page looks completely different and still searching through my icons, etc. 

I will admit I'm not fond of change, especially when it concerns my "electronics". I always liked it the way it was before.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus   totally agree. -   Whether it's Apple or Microsoft and their updates, I just don't understand who the users are who need them.  

If they offered safety updates separate from all the "trinkets". I would download those immediately.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops   I obviously agree. My phone updates are the worst. 

Esteemed Contributor

I also put them off, then they change it anyway.  Hate it.The Chrome tablet I am using is asking to update and i am ignoring it for now.

Honored Contributor

I don't even understand why you wouldn't want the updates or why you put them off.  Most don't take long but I run them late in the evening when I never use my laptop.  The updates add new features or enhance functionality.  Who wouldn't want that?  

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Who wouldn't want that?  

@chrystaltree 

Me. Unless it is necessary for my windows version to keep it operational? No thanks, had too many that made its operation worse.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Who wouldn't want that?  

@chrystaltree 

Me. Unless it is necessary for my windows version to keep it operational? No thanks, had too many that made its operation worse.

hckynut 

@hckynutjohn   Oh wow, John. I agree w/ that one.

Honored Contributor

I agree with you, Shanus.  I dislike changes in electronics!  Just when I start to feel a tiny bit comfortable, then things change - again!  I know some changes are necessary for security purposes.  Most changes are not better though, just different.  I would rather ignore things, too, but DH is a stickler for these things and wants them taken care of immediately!  He's also much better all all things electronic, which is a good thing, as I am absolutely terrible at them. 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Frequent Contributor

I had the same problem after my update, too.  My desktop was a mess.  Instead of having the basic Microsoft Edge background it was using some of my files that I had saved on the hard drive as the background.  I was ready to un-install the updates but decided to close my laptop down and approach if the next day with a clear head.  I ended up going into the control panel and the appearance section and adjusting things back to where they were.  This was time I would have rather spent doing something else!

Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Who wouldn't want that?  

@chrystaltree 

hckynut 

I look at Windows as the Devil's Spawn.  I also look at updates for Macs and Windows as attempts to keep China, Russia and others from our machine operating systems.  Which is the real reason for most updates. 

People who don't work in IT security have no idea what is really going on and the war that is fought there