Respected Contributor

I am a very grateful person. I am always appreciative of even a small gift or a card. This year for Christmas, DH and I received a lineup of the most bizarre gifts from family members. I don't even know what some of them are. I guess I will just donate, but some I guess I will just toss. First, we got a $100 gift card to a very nice restaurant that isn't even in our state...in fact, it is on the other side of the country and we never travel there. Next,I got a giant faux fur sack about 18x24" with one plastic handle on one side of it. It was filled with oranges.  We also got a strange-looking spceramic pievpce that must be a vase or figurine and DH and I are still debating what it is...it is pale pink with a duck painted on it at the bottom. We each got very expensive-looking monogrammed notepads. Both of our middle name initial is wrong. Both of us have L as the middle initial but his has a D and mine has a B. Are we living in the twilight zone? All of these gifts came from wealthy, successful young adults. I am totally baffled. Were we pranked? 

Honored Contributor

Sounds like regifting has really caught on in your family.  The gift card must be one for sure.  There's some website where you can sell gift cards for a portion of their value.  Perhaps you should  investigate it or plan a road trip.  I'd send it back to the giver explaining that because the restaurant is not in your area, perhaps he can use it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Sounds like you've been "re-gifted" with stuff the giver didn't want!

Respected Contributor

@Trailrun23 You definitely win the award in the bizarre gift category. I can offer no explanation. I wouldn't even know what to do with this menagerie.

Honored Contributor

Re: Bizarre gifts

[ Edited ]

Wow it does sound very strange!  I agree that it might be regifting.  As for the restaurant gift card, could you order something from them and have them ship to you?  A gift basket or something they are known for?

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with the others...sounds like regifting to me.....

Respected Contributor

It really has felt like the gifts from Christmas' past.

Honored Contributor

@Trailrun23    Do you have a cat or small dog?  Stuff the fur bag with batting and whip stitch the top closed and you'll have a nice pet bed.  You're on your own with the figurine.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor
Your post made me laugh! What absurd and bizarre gifts. The worst gift I ever received was a package of frozen boneless, skinless chix breasts, but at least I knew what they were and how to use them!!
Honored Contributor

@Trailrun23   In case you are not aware, there is a web site where you can sell a gift card.  We did it once, and had no trouble.  You might give it a try.   I do not recall the name but I am sure you can find it by doing a bit of online research.