Esteemed Contributor

I agree with most of these aphorisms, except for spending all one's money. Fortunately I'm married to a now-retired accounting professor. During our working years, he convinced me to save as much as possible. After the kids were out of college, we saved the maximum. Now we have a very nice retirement but we are not going to spend with abandon. I am not worried about my children's financial situations but with a husband with Alzheimer's, I know that those savings will be crucial. Life has a way of girding us to reality.

Honored Contributor

I think this is one of the worst lists I ever saw and I would retitle it:  Between 65 and death be the crankiest, most selfish, unloving old coot you can manage to be.

No!  I do not want to be like that, and I hope that after I am gone my remaining  assets will be put to good use.  I have lived my good life and if I never travel again I'm happy and content.

I do NOT have to have a hobby.  TO ME they are messy, expensive and take up time fiddling with something.  I'd rather read.

Yes, move someone not related in with you to abuse you and steal your things and money.

Sorry but heaven help me to avoid a lot of the things on this list. 

Super Contributor

@Sooner-- I wasn't going to say anything but then I read your post.  Wholeheartedly agree.

What a lecture.  This Steven Korker is either a simple minded fool or has money to burn or hasn't reached 65 or seems to be a know-it-all.  A bunch of platitudes to make you feel inadequate with your ideas, situation and choices. 

Respected Contributor

I like the list.  When one doesn't work, one has time to reset one's attitude often--and needs to.  There are bolts out of the blue, more often later in life.  It is best to be good at mental footwork.  Does that make sense?

Super Contributor

Re: Between 65 and Death

[ Edited ]

@house_cat  Thanks for the list!  Yes, the title is a bit of a downer, however, it is reality. So, again, thanks for sharing!  For those who don't like list, I say congratulations.  As, you may carry a positive and enlightened spirit within at all times.  For me, a list of this nature merely reminds me to enjoy life, to focus more on the positives, and literally to just pay attention.  Some of us need reminders and others move to their own created beat.  I like list not because i don't know some things instinctively, but because reading them gives them legs for me.  Life is so full of ups and downs, and some of us forget to come up. We need words of wisdom, and commonality of ideas to spur us on. To those who like list, I say welcome to my world.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@SoftRain 

Thank you for posting. I agree with everything you said.

~ house cat ~