Esteemed Contributor

@Jackhound Mom wrote:

Are children taught how to spell using phonics/fonics.  We were, and it didn't always work.

Sounding out the word is Not always how it is spelled.

Example Wednesday

Wed Nes Day

@Jackhound Mom 

I'm 72 and I was not taught to read or spell by the phonics method. My brother who is 6 years younger, was taught phonics.  But I went to public school and he went to Catholic school, so maybe that was the reason for the difference.  In any case, I was an early reader who was really good at it.  I'd say that he was just mediocre.  I still LOVE to read. 

When I was a learning disabilities teacher, we used whichever method was best suited to the individual child.  Some learn better by sight, and others learn better through phonics.  My own kids used phonics and it worked well for both of them.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I have some kind of spelling dyslexia ...I am just a terrible speller...spellcheck is my friend as is google.  I also have a terrible sense of direction.... I always wondered if theses two issues are related somehow in how my brain works?  I am an excellent reader.

@SeaMaiden 

Same here.  I wonder?

@Drythe @SeaMaiden

I don't think they're related, because I also have a terrible sense of direction (like my mom) and I was/am an excellent speller.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Trusted Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I am a boomer.  I was taught phonics for reading.  I think that is best.  I taught all three of my children to read using phonics and they all read well before they went to kindergarten.

Spelling was taught by studying a word list.. 10 words a week.  I had spelling homework every night.  I had to write the word 10 times and use the word in two sentences...every single night. Spelling tests were given every Friday.  I had spelling classes from grade one to eight.

We also were taught spelling rules...like i before e, except after c.

If I turned in any paper with a word misspelled, it was given back to me to correct, even for other subjects like history or science. If I misspelled a word on a test on any subject, points were deducted.

I went to Catholic school with four classrooms and four  teachers for eight grades.  One teacher taught 1st and 2nd grade in the same class room..one teacher for  3rd and 4th, and 5th and 6th and 7th and 8th.  There were about 30 students in the class rooms.

The teacher also taught art, music and gym.

Our textbooks were old and falling apart, but we learned.

When I was working, I was often asked if my major was journalism or English.  When I said I had no degree, I was asked where I learned my skills...answer, grammar school.

Great beginnings last a lifetime!

Jessa