Honored Contributor

Re: Awww A Special New Bond With Land Lines 🤬👎(SCAMMED)

@cbrite   I hope you did not share your name and address....if you did🥺😮😮😮😮😮

Esteemed Contributor

I'll share a true story that happened to me.

One day, about four or five years ago, Dad and I were out running errands, and we had stopped at CVS.

I was his driver at this point, and after I did my shopping, I came out of the store, where I was approached by a young 20-something girl.

She told me that she had been raped the night before, and lost her phone, and could she use mine.

I didn't trust her for a split nano-second.

I was not just going to hand over my phone to a complete stranger just because they told me a sob story.

I said to her, "I can call the police for you."

Her response?

"**** the police! They didn't do s***!", and walked away.

Hmmmm.

I guess she didn't need to use a phone so bad after all.

Yeah, I spotted that scam a mile away.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Awww A Special New Bond With Land Lines 😋(SCAMMED)

@CelticCrafter wrote:

The OP's # was probably spoofed and that's why the person said it was a call back..

Yup!

I am another one who never answers my land line phone if I can't identify the number.

About a year ago, I got a phone call with the caller ID "VoiP call".  I did not answer it.

The next day, I was trying to call a medical clinic to make an appointment, and the call would not go through.  It sounded fuzzy and a long, long ways away.

I tried the same number with my cell phone, and it went through fine.

The next phone call I got was from a woman here in town, who co-incidentally I had just read about in the local newspaper.  The story was so interesting that I emailed a link from the story to a friend.

This woman, who I have met just socially, said "[my name]?  Did you call?"

I had not called her.  In fact, I felt a little embarrassed because I had just been talking about her story in the paper.

But no.  I did not call.  She said my caller ID came up on her caller ID.

We never did figure out what had happened.  

I only know that a VoiP phone call is a type of crank phone call, perhaps computer generated. 

Trusted Contributor

I do think its possible that the woman, especially if she sounded genuinely "older" may have been legitimate.  

There are a lot of lonely people out there who miss chatting with friends on the phone.  

Respected Contributor

@on the bay Even new neighbors , don't get to friendly, especaiily letting them in your house, and going into theirs.Just a word of caution.

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree My advice just hang up. Because she probably will be persistant.So sorry that the world can't be trusted.

Respected Contributor

@ please take our advice we care. 

Honored Contributor

@GrailSeeker wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

The OP's # was probably spoofed and that's why the person said it was a call back..

Yup!

I am another one who never answers my land line phone if I can't identify the number.

About a year ago, I got a phone call with the caller ID "VoiP call".  I did not answer it.

The next day, I was trying to call a medical clinic to make an appointment, and the call would not go through.  It sounded fuzzy and a long, long ways away.

I tried the same number with my cell phone, and it went through fine.

The next phone call I got was from a woman here in town, who co-incidentally I had just read about in the local newspaper.  The story was so interesting that I emailed a link from the story to a friend.

This woman, who I have met just socially, said "[my name]?  Did you call?"

I had not called her.  In fact, I felt a little embarrassed because I had just been talking about her story in the paper.

But no.  I did not call.  She said my caller ID came up on her caller ID.

We never did figure out what had happened.  

I only know that a VoiP phone call is a type of crank phone call, perhaps computer generated. 

@GrailSeeker   They are spoofing your number.  I was playing bridge with a friend several years ago, when my home number (and there was no one home) called her.  I had a very good friend at the time who was an executive with that big phone company.  I asked his wife and they told me that is what it is and I have even gotten calls from my own phone subsequently.  It happens all the time, even when these calls originate in China, India, Philippines.  Globally we are all within dialing reach.  They are smart, evil people who do this to us.

Trusted Contributor

it issosadthatwe can't trustanyone today.  weare missing out on real friendships beause the cons and scammers are oiut there.